Which motor mounts are best?

David R.

I see a lot on here aobut doing motor mounts, and since I'm doin hg's I figure I hear it's a good idea to do motor mounts as well. Which ones are best? I see them ranging in the 10 to 20 dollar range, a lot and then there are the ones on SCP for $90. Are they worth the money? Whats the difference?

My suggestion is the "SR" or solid rubber models. They'll last longer. The original are fluid filled. I have both types on my SCs and the difference is hardly noticable. I got mine, Anchor brand, from the retail stores.

If you're making significantly more power, you'll need to upgrade to something solid like metal.

I see a lot on here aobut doing motor mounts, and since I'm doin hg's I figure I hear it's a good idea to do motor mounts as well. Which ones are best? I see them ranging in the 10 to 20 dollar range, a lot and then there are the ones on SCP for $90. Are they worth the money? Whats the difference?

I'm still using the same set of steel cased solid rubber mounts I bought from SCP back in 2003.

David

i highly recommend removing the crappy rubber mount, knocking out the pin stub on the bottom of the mount bracket, drilling it out with a 5/8" drill bit and slapping in a 3" ?? pipe on both side with a 1/2 bolt and nut

im not exactly sure about the pipe size, i used a 3" diameter really thick heavy gauge pipe i think it was 3" long, i measured the stock mount height and got a piece the length i needed, more is better than less here

best thing i ever did for my supercoupes

YOU MUST REMEMBER TO NEVER USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN A STOCK REPLACEMENT RUBBER STYLE TRANSMISSION MOUNT!!!!!

i highly recommend removing the crappy rubber mount, knocking out the pin stub on the bottom of the mount bracket, drilling it out with a 5/8" drill bit and slapping in a 3" ?? pipe on both side with a 1/2 bolt and nut

im not exactly sure about the pipe size, i used a 3" diameter really thick heavy gauge pipe i think it was 3" long, i measured the stock mount height and got a piece the length i needed, more is better than less here

best thing i ever did for my supercoupes

YOU MUST REMEMBER TO NEVER USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN A STOCK REPLACEMENT RUBBER STYLE TRANSMISSION MOUNT!!!!!

What's the advantage of this?

For a stock car, and if you intend to leave it stock for the known future, just get replacement motor mounts from your local NAPA or whatever you have in town. It is important to make sure you still have the rubber bumper that is on the drivers side mount bracket, which helps to limit travel and prevent tearing of the mounts.

The replacements from the store just come with new inserts, not the whole bracket. That's why the chuck mounts cost more, it's a whole new type of bracket. People generally get the chuck mounts to avoid fabrication of a limit strap, because once you start pushing over 300lb/ft of torque, tearing out the stock motor mounts is pretty simple, especially in a manual transmission car on drag tires.

I also am still using the SCP solid rubber from way back in the day. They are 3/4 inch taller than stock, I think, but the newer ones are stock height, I think.

I would get solid rubber mounts if I were you.:)

$165 sounds like a lot, but Anchor motor mounts for my 1991 (V8) here in town are $96.99 EACH for the rubber inserts. And the rubber insert needed a nipple cut off to fit the passenger side!

Dealer cost is over $200 each. EACH.

How expensive is relative.

I can vouchsafe that they're well built and that Chuck is VERY easy to work with.

Turns out they won't work for me - I'd have to get the driveshaft redone (there just wasn't enough to shove the motor back 1" to fit his V8 mounts with my 302, alas.)

BTW - the Anchor and DEA brand mounts are a lot less from RockAuto, true. I just had to buy in a hurry when it turned out the TurboChuck mounts were not working for me personally.

Again, nothing against them ... it was tolerancing on my car that caused the problem.

RwP

I don't understand how Type 8 could work for all SC's. The 94 and the 95 had a different bracket style and you cannot interchange them.

Well, let's talk about the Type 6 for my car.

TurboChuck lists a Type 6 for 1986 to 1997 TBirds/Cougars with 5.0s.

What there IS is a 6.1 for 86-88, a 6.2 for 89-92, and a 6.3 for 93-97.

I'd bet it's the same for the Type 8, that there's subtypes for the various years.

RwP

I bought the mounts chris is talking about from orielly 6.76 apiece they are 3/4 inch taller but as low as my long tubes are I needed the eextra height

Back