Recent SC purchase...

smlbird

Just bought a barn stored SC. Looks like the wiring is melted to the fan. The engine seems to run strong. Brought it almost up to temp and no fan. The past owner said something about smoke. He wouldn't say much of anything. I'm worried about head gaskets melting if overheated by no fan operation. Is there an easy way to tell? Could anything elso go wrong? I'm working on doing a compression test. Half the cylinders look accessible.

Thanks for any help!

Just bought a barn stored SC. Looks like the wiring is melted to the fan. The engine seems to run strong. Brought it almost up to temp and no fan. The past owner said something about smoke. He wouldn't say much of anything. I'm worried about head gaskets melting if overheated by no fan operation. Is there an easy way to tell? Could anything elso go wrong? I'm working on doing a compression test. Half the cylinders look accessible.

Thanks for any help!

Compression test, leak down test, emissions tester with radiator cap off, Water in the oil, white smoke out of the exhaust, low coolant level. YOur head gaskets don't melt. The gasket either burns away, the cylinder head warps, or the cylinder heads lift. All of which would cause an engine to consume coolant in one way or another.

Thank you!

The coolant looks good as does the oil on dipstick (haven't drained it yet--I guess some water could be at the bottom). There is some white smoke out the back at startup. Rarely. A couple times some blueish smoke while accelerating up a hill. Leak down test may be easier for me to perform. Thank you!!! Great idea.

The well taken care of car looks great! Really hope to work this out. It runs really well. Real good power. Haven't let it get to operating temp yet.

Thanks again!!!

Back