M5R2 Trans.

SCbandaid

i am putting new syncros and bearings in my M5R2. i was wondering what the part numbers were for the brass blocking rings. could anyone please help?

Thanks for the help:)

Nate

i'm doing mine right now also. Its in about 200 peices on my table. Go to www.mn12performance.com...then go to tech info...then they have diagrams and part numbers for the M5R2 tranny. I hope you have some special bearing pullers...cause you'll need them to take off the output shaft bearing and the center bearing. I snaped my output shaft in two peices so i used a small puller...but you'll need the special one if your output shaft is in one peice. I also have an ALLDATA program and it gives me step by step instructions for the rebuild. Its about 25 pages and very worth it. Good luck man.

i have actually got it all tore apart... i have all the tools needed... and i have mitchell on demand at my shop... i have just read about the upgrade to all brass blocking rings instead of the fiber ones that are in the tranny now and i wasnt sure if it was a different part number than that listed on that web site.

Thanks for the help
Nate

oh sorry...i'm not too sure about part numbers for those blocking rings....sorry i couldn't help.

Yipes!

Just a word of advice about the "upgrade" to brass blockers. DONT DO IT! Its true that they will last longer than the fiber ones under NORMAL driving conditions (shifting at a snails pace at 2500rpm), but for the way most of us drive a 5-speed and I assume you do too, the brass blockers WILL crunch under quick shifts. I went through two tranny rebuilds within 6 months before I figured this out. I happens on the 3rd gear syncro, because the gearing is gapped considerably higher from 2nd to 3rd, than it is from 1st to 2nd. Because of this, the brass doesnt flex at all within that long gap and will make a nice crunching noise as you shift to 3rd, which will eventually rip the blocker to shreads and then its off to replace your syncro again. The fiber ones WILL stand up to the abuse much better, and have a life expectancy of close to 80,000mi. Just .02 cents from someone who learned this the hard way.

i think i have brass ones in mine right now. I just tore apart the tranny on friday and it looks like they are brass. What do the fiber ones looks like? I'm not sure that this tranny has ever been rebuilt before, but they seem like brass to me. My shifts fine and i really ride it hard.

Both types of blockers are made of brass. The fiber ones have a fiber(paper?) coating on the inner side that seats against the gear. It's purpose is to slow the selected gear down before engaging so that the selector ring slides over it and not into it. The brass ones use brass where the fiber is and don't slow the gear sufficiently hence a slight mismatch except when done slowly as in shifting a truck for which they were actually made. I also ruined a set of the brass blockers speed shifting at the dragstrip and had to redo mine. It chewed the little teeth around the outside edge down almost to nubbins. The fiber ones speed shift perfectly.

You need,
4 each----E9SZ7107A
1 each E8TZ7107E
1 each E9SZ7107B
The reverse blocker is all brass. They are $25 to $29 each depending on the dealer.

Thanks

well they were able to pull those numbers thank you... i should be back on the road in no time... is there anything else i should look for while i rebuild it?

Thanks again

Check the main shaft front to back end play. It should be zero. It may wiggle up and down a little but it shouldn't go back and forth. You may need to shim it. Watch the thrust bearing between the 2 main shafts. You might want to replace it, too. 5th gear thrust washer should only allow a little play in the gear. I really used my blow-up diagram a lot and was real glad I put things in labeled plastic bags. The 2 large shaft nuts will have to be replaced, too. I'm sure there are others but that's what comes to mind right now.

yes i already have the bearings, and i have done alot of manual trannys... i just didnt know if there was anything specific to look for on this tranny itself alot of trannys seem to have there little quirks

Thanks again

Back