IC piping question

Polecat Z

I know ot turbo cars that new IC piping can have enormous effects on boost and HP output. I'm wondering if any gain can be had if I made new IC pipes and kept the stock IC(but adding a fan to it). I am also planning on doing a CAI with a large cone filter. I'm a welder, so making these things would be more of a fun project than a chore, so be honest with me. If the stock ones are fine then I'll just leave them. Is there anything that a good welder can do that WILL make a noticable improvement? An FMIC is alittle out of my price range right now. I am planning on doing exhaust, so I know thats one thing I can do. Can I leave the factory manifolds or should I not bother until I can afford headers? I saw a thread about the MAC '99-'02 mustang headers that will work with light mods to them. Anyway, let me know guys! Thanks!!!

Well..

From what I have read before on here I heard stock ported out headers flow just as good as the aftermarket ones. But someone will have to back me up on that. Performance from IC piping? I dont' think there is a chance in that. Though a double intercooler is a good idea. And seeing as how your a welder that could really come in handy. You should check around to see if anyone has made there own Double IC. New IC's are pretty easy to come buy. I see them on ebay all the time. Also a raised SC top can be made by welding your own peice on the current inlet piece to raise it up.

The stock IC flows only 250cc. So if you do anything to the ic tubes it won't help much if any at all. Since you are a welder I would buy another stock IC or two more and have them welded side by side to have two or three welded to make a kind of FMIC. You will have to lenthen the IC tubes and move the Radiator up and get a new fan and then I would enlarge the daimiter of the IC intel and out let making them 3 inch. They are right now a little less than 2 1/2 and the IC tubes are about 2 1/4.

On the stock manifolds for now you can port the collector part because there is a good lip in there that makes the end 1 7/8 and can be ported to about 2 inchs. That will help on the stock manifolds. If I were you I would go and make some long tube headers. If you don't think you can do that. Then you can use the 99 up mac headers. It does hit the steering shaft and that is where you will have to heat the collector up and bend it in. then you will have to strap the engine down because it will hit the steering shaft and you can emagine from there what would happen.

Back