I just bought a '91 SC

Polecat Z

I need to know what I need to do to get it back up to speed. I'm thinking a basic tune-up, oil change, filters, etc... Whats this about SC fluid? Can I use something I can get from a parts store, or is it something special? Also, what else can you recommend that I do to prol;ong the life of this car? It has 170+K on it. It is an AOD car also. Maybe a fluid/filter change for the trans? Auxilary trans cooler? The ABS pump is bad, so it'll be getting fresh fluid there when that gets replaced. Diff fluid too. Coolant system drain and flush? How do I DO that? Thanks guys.

Alright..

Well might want to start out with some cheap oil (the 89 or 99 cent stuff) and change your oil every 500-1000 miles for about the next 5 times or so. Thats what I did to clean my engine out. Then I switch to mobil synthetic blend 5-30. Don't use synthetic. It will find the holes and leak horribly!!!!! Filter.....if your going to modify it ,or at least add a cold air intake, just put a replacement stock air filter in for now. You don't want to buy a K and N box filter now and then have to buy conical one later. Get some new plugs and wires!!! Motorcraft fo shizzle! Should run about 39.99 or so for the wires and about 3.99 a piece for the plugs (double platinum!!). Not sure if thats a lot to you but its well worth it. Anything else just doesn't work well in these cars. Tranny cooler is not a must but a VERY good idea. Can extend the life of the trans by a lot. As for the trans fluid if you have the money i would take it in and have it flushed. It was 75 bucks for mine and it completely flushes out your torque converter and all. If you don't have the funds right now then just get 3-4 quarts of trans fluid (Thats all that will be lost taking the pan down) and just clean the pan out and put a new trans filter in. Those can be had at your local parts dealer for around 14.99. Very cheap!! Definitely radiator plus..Not sure exactly how thats done. when my water pump went bad everything came out and i just put new fluid in. I would presume you can drain it on the bottom left hand corner of the radiator (if your looking at the car from the front) there just be a screw that can be undone and i think that drains it. but someone else will have to back me up on that.

Bought my '91 not too long ago. I'm trying to find everything rubber and swap it out, basically. After 11 years, it's just time. Upper and lower ball joints are new, they were about to be major trouble. Swap out ALL fluids possible. Especially the tranny. Don't forget the rear end with LSD additive. You never know if the previous owner ever did this. Had my radiator recored, new 180 degree thermostat, all flushed out, new hoses. New belts--do this while you have the lower rad. hose off (see the main accessory belt, goes right through it). Check you motor mounts! PLAN your upgrades, many things are interlinked (like the belt and hose) so you should try to get all in at the time that makes it easiest. Check your belt tensioners. My next move is basic tune up when I have the valve cover gaskets done (again, get things done together). Also, SC fluid if I can get something to suck it outta there and then replace it.
Then the exhaust. About to get into the fun stuff now. ;)

Back