still running hot on my 92 sc

bumpskier45

ok I have changed the temp sensor,flushed the radiator,receipt in the glove compartment from original owner shows radiator changed in 2008 by the dealer,it looks pretty decent on the inside from what I could tell.Of course there is no way to tell if he flushed it every year.Changed the thermostat to a 180 degree vs the 195 that was in there.Still once car gets up to temp it creeps over to the M in NORM on the gauge and pretty much stays there and a tad below,what do I have to do to make this car run cooler? I watched the fan by the way and it shuts down when the gauge gets to the R in NORM,so I think the fan is not being told to stay on long enough,once it comes on temp does start falling but then the dam thing shuts off. HELP

Make sure you have a air dam under the front bumper & an air guide plate over the top , spans between your head lights under the hood latch. 180 is too cool for OEM radiator above 80 deg. If all is good then try a 192F from most any auto parts place, it is a "murray" brand. With winter looming might go for a 195F See if these things are in place if not search , fix & drive. Another try will be to turn on A/C (to get fan on) & once it gets up to temp spay some water from a hose around the front & see if the temp stays low, if it does then most likey air flow problem.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ck=Search_03442_1140578_-1&pt=03442&ppt=C0331

These cars were not engineered to run at halfway on the gauge in stock form. I've had mine since '99 and it usually runs right about where yours is running even with the Griffin radiator. Somebody more knowledgeable can chime in here but if I recall correctly the high speed fan doesn't come on till 220+ deg. I wouldn't be alarmed it sounds like your car is running fine.

will the fan still kick on if there is a leak in the ac system and there is no freon?

If the motor is hot enough, yes. By turning on the A/C, no.

SCTBIRD1173's answer is not quite complete.

"M" in "NORM" is not too hot, BTW. When the fan kicks on, it drops it to "R" and then cycles off? That's not too bad.

Do you have both fan speeds, or just high?

RwP

yes it drops the temp just a tad below the R in NORM then it rinse and repeats itself,I guess I am just not use to a car running running over the half way mark like this one does,when I get on the interstate or any road where I am above 55 it comes close to going back to allmost half way point though.

This is an easy one. When you run a 180 degree thermostat you need to get a custom tune done so that the fan comes on about 20 degrees sooner. Way happens is your cooling system is getting heat soaked and By the time your fan starts coming on the thermostat is no longer closing allowing the coolant in the radiator to cool down long enough to then cool the engine down. So essentially your system just allows coolant to continuously flow which isn't good. Your thermostat needs to be able to cycle and open and close allowing the coolant in the radiator to cool off before the next time the thermostat opens. Talk to xr7dave and get a tune file done. With a 180 thermostat and good radiator, along witha tune allowing the fan to come on sooner your needle won't make it over to the n in normal. I know from experience.

I am not sure where to go for a tune,I could change the thermostat again it wasn't that big of a deal,I was wondering if i could change it a tad like to a 192,or a 190,what temp is safe to go down to without doing a tune I guess is what I am trying to say.

I am not sure where to go for a tune,I could change the thermostat again it wasn't that big of a deal,I was wondering if i could change it a tad like to a 192,or a 190,what temp is safe to go down to without doing a tune I guess is what I am trying to say.

You can ask xr7dave for a tune. That is his username on here. You can also reach him at mdkracing@windstream.net Run the stock thermostat unless you get a tune to have the fan turn on sooner. Getting a tune isn't a big deal. xr7dave (Dave Dalke) does them for people on here all the time.

yes it drops the temp just a tad below the R in NORM then it rinse and repeats itself,I guess I am just not use to a car running running over the half way mark like this one does,when I get on the interstate or any road where I am above 55 it comes close to going back to allmost half way point though.

That sounds perfectly normal for a untuned SC. As others suggested I would put back in a stock thermostat if you aren't tuning the car yet. Also be careful with the water neck, they like to get all bent up and leak on you. There is no new replacement for it either.

Back