auto to manual conversion

superdadsc

I have a AOD. To get the tranny in good running condition I feel it will cost in the 2000 to 2500 range. I bought a lentech VB. I need a TC and a tranny rebuild. I can get a TC and put it on with the VB. Dirty Dogs TC looks to be around 550 plus another 50 to make it a little stronger. Don't know what a tranny rebuild would cost.

The tranny ~~~~~ OK but with 140k she is tired to say the least.

I have always been a 5spd guy but for a DD I am thinking auto thats why I bought it. Now I have second thought. I kinda miss shifting. I have never driven a proper AOD setup and I have a feeling it will be completly different than it is now so I might just love it.

How much would it cost in parts and how much labor to complete in hours for the conversion? Just a ball park estimate as I am trying to way costs between the two options.

Has anyone done this and if so was it straight forward or did it open a big can of worms. If it cost's more I will stick with the AOD.

Trying to be sensible and follow other members advice and experience. Tired of wasting money with my stupid ideas!

Stephen

Last edited:
Lots of guys have swapped the AOD to the M5R2 5-speed and some have swapped in 6-speeds too.

I plan on doing it this winter and I'm a shadetree mechanic at best.

Either get a 5-speed car with a blown HG or wreaked, or source the bits and pieces. Should be able to find a number of swap write ups both here and at TCCoA.

IIRC you'll need:
M5R2, Drive shaft, Clutch pedal/M. cyl., 5-speed transmission wire harness, console top, clutch... at least...

Mike Pucket is very knowledgeable and local for ya.

I got my AOD built with VB and TC for ~$2000 total. You don't have to have one of Alan's high dollar TCs if you just have a street car and if this is you first dead AOD at ~140k miles the F52 TT will be fine (same as I have). It took me two stock rebuilds for me to bite the bullet on the $2000 option instead of the $800 for stock (and its last stock rebuild was done by one of the best shops in ATL).

IF I understand right what you're paying for for the $500 convertor is higher RPM before ballooning is an issue, not a real issue for M90 power SC.

From what I've seen unless everything goes perfect expect $3000 for a manual conversion.

the best mod for an AOD is a 4r70w swap

check out my swap write up, i did the complete job for less than $400, 20k miles later im still givin her hell, actually been drivin my 91 for the past few days

the 4r will outshift the AOD and is almost as fun as the m5 (with good blockers)

I swapped an m5r2 into a 5.0 bird for like 700. They're more exciting but is it worth it? My birds are summer cars. They get parked for the winter.

Thanks for the info. If anyone else wants to chime in with their experience please do.

Car will be done in stages (two kids 5 & 7)
Stage 1 Done
I started with the exhaust. The first thing I did was bring the car to my exhaust guy and completed that. Need to quiet it down though:eek: and I have 21/2 down to high flow cat, into a magnaflow resonator into a 3inch to the back where it splits to duel 3 inch into flowmasters. Don't like it but its done for now, any ideas here?
Stage2
Tranny AOD or Manual
Stage 3
heads and cam from DD(latest and greatest for the street)
Stage 4
MPX w/ coated rotors

Front mount IC will be added somewhere in there just not sure. Maybe after the tranny.

The car will be a DD with it hitting the track a few times a year. Will run on 93 octane.

Parts I have that in my garage
Oval port rebuilt ported & coated(will be on till MPX)
5% OD
water/methenal kit
progressive nitrous kit with everything(bought for my 928 never installed)
Lentech VB Street Terminator II

Maybe this will help in regards to ideas as to my long term plans. No HP records but a solid street car. I will be getting in touch with Mike. Would like to see his car and find out who he uses to tune it. His car is a machine for sure. Been at this a long time.

Stephen

Last edited:
Back