Crank no start...

PayUpSuka

So I'm driving this morning and I happen to go over a bump and the car cut off and back on real quick. Then I happen to go over a other bump and it completely shut off. So I coast to the side of the road and its dead. It cranks but doesn't run.

What I can tell on the side of the road is I hear the fuel pump still prime with the key on and I see the tach move when I Crank in. Other then that I'm lost.

Any help would be great :-/

This car is gonna be be death of me...

I had an issue with my '89 SC. About every 10 or 15 miles on the highway, it would cut out momentarily and the tach would drop toward zero. Finally, one day I stopped for breakfast, came out, and it would crank but wouldn't start. The problem was the crankshaft sensor had completely died (just that suddenly). After replacing it, the car no longer cuts out and it starts every time.

The electronics on these seem to be a weak point. I have had other Fords (1996 F250) that had the same type of issue. I bought both Fords used, and the first things that needed done were to replace a number of the electronics, e.g., modules, switches, etc. Once you get through that, the 'nickel and dime' problems clear up. At least, that's been my experience.

The common wisdom, gleaned from this site, is if there's any doubt about any of the three main modules: DIS, camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor--replace them all simultaneously and save yourself continued, annoying headaches.

The other thing I found about mine, after purchasing it with 133K and with it having sat idle for about a year prior to me buying it, was the plugs, plug-wires, and/or coils were problematic. I replaced everything at once, and it runs great.

Alan

Last edited:
Back