Sport brakes

BlkBirds

My car is a 97 LX sport gone SC. So with the famous "sport package" front brakes, is re-drilling my only hub swap option for rotors? What about Crown Vic rotors?

Actually, you CAN use the PBR calipers and with the Mustang hubs the GT/V6 rotors.

Or just go Cobra 13" up front, given big enough wheels to clear.

I'd opt for the PBRs and the Mustang rotors if I were you. But with the hub swap, there ARE other possibilities.

RwP

There are no 5 on 4.5" pattern rotors off the shelf in the 11.6" Sport rotor size ... redrilling is your only option if you want to stay with those brakes.

cheers
Ed

There are no 5 on 4.5" pattern rotors off the shelf in the 11.6" Sport rotor size ... redrilling is your only option if you want to stay with those brakes.

cheers
Ed

What he said.

The sport brakes had larger front rotors than the SC. The SC, SN95 Mustang V6 and GT shared the same rotor size so they will not work.

Thanks for the info fellas, that's kinda what I figured. If memory serves, somebody was trying to fit up some Vikky rotors. I think in '05(?) they were 5x4.5, 12" diameter and very very nearly the same hat depth- two thousandths different maybe? My thought there being an off the shelf rig, and if needed the caliper could be relieved ever so slightly for the 11.6 to 12". Maybe with the PBR's, a fella wouldn't even have to...?

I don't think that you could make up for that extra 0.2" in radius on the Sport calipers, likely not enough meat there. What some Mustang and SHO guys have done is to use the 03-up Crown Vic rotors with the calipers and brackets from the 13" Cobra setup. This can work by drilling and tapping another set of holes in those caliper brackets half an inch lower than the originals.

That way you end up with the aluminium dual piston calipers, and 16" wheels will still fit over them.

cheers
Ed

12" rotors redrilled for the stock 5x4.25 bolt pattern and the Cobra calipers with brakets drilled to fit over will clear no problem on the 16s. And right now they are working perfectly for me. They were as well for me dad on his SHO wth the same deal on before he step up a size.

Last edited:
Good to hear that someone has put that combo together on an SC. Would be a nice package if you're looking to keep the OEM wheels.

cheers
Ed

Back