2nd Opinions - Supercharger/89 SC

AlanS

My supercharger is leaking at the snout, i.e., the pulley seal. It's also making a slight rattling sound heard at idle. Since the pulley seal is leaking, my guess is the rattling is not due to a new-style coupler, but rather to wear.

I purchased a used supercharger. My plan is to remove the snout, 'rebuild' it (using parts I purchased for the purpose--those recommended on this forum, BTW), then replace the snout on the currently installed supercharger with the rebuilt snout. The reason for not rebuilding the snout on my current (original) supercharger is, if I run into any issues while rebuilding the snout, I won't compromise the car while I sort them out.

The used supercharger reportedly had 105K miles (the one in my car has 134K). The '105K' rotors and body appear to be in good shape. There is a slight 'scratch' in the top gasket surface. I hit it lightly with a file to remove a small burr. Otherwise, the gasket surfaces (top and inlet) are smooth and level. My assumption is, the scratch in the top surface will fill-in with gasket material and will not leak. My question about this is, is there something special about that surface (the square opening on top of the supercharger) that causes it to be compromised with a small scratch?

I plan to set the '105K' rotors/body (with scratch) aside, and use them if I ever need them.

For those of you with experience (and/or particular knowledge) regarding superchargers for our cars, is my plan sound? If not, what would you do differently. (BTW, I thought about rebuilding the used supercharger's snout, then dropping the entire supercharger in (body/rotors, too) in place of my 'old' one. But I'm not sure how to determine if the rotors are sound.)

Thanks for any/all opinions. :)

Alan

Last edited:
My supercharger is leaking at the snout, i.e., the pulley seal. It's also making a slight rattling sound heard at idle. Since the pulley seal is leaking, my guess is the rattling is not due to a new-style coupler, but rather to wear.

I purchased a used supercharger. My plan is to remove the snout, 'rebuild' it (using parts I purchased for the purpose--those recommended on this forum, BTW), then replace the snout on the currently installed supercharger with the rebuilt snout. The reason for not rebuilding the snout on my current (original) supercharger is, if I run into any issues while rebuilding the snout, I won't compromise the car while I sort them out.

The used supercharger reportedly had 105K miles (the one in my car has 134K). The '105K' rotors and body appear to be in good shape. There is a slight 'scratch' in the top gasket surface. I hit it lightly with a file to remove a small burr. Otherwise, the gasket surfaces (top and inlet) are smooth and level. My assumption is, the scratch in the top surface will fill-in with gasket material and will not leak. My question about this is, is there something special about that surface (the square opening on top of the supercharger) that causes it to be compromised with a small scratch?

I plan to set the '105K' rotors/body (with scratch) aside, and use them if I ever need them.

For those of you with experience (and/or particular knowledge) regarding superchargers for our cars, is my plan sound? If not, what would you do differently. (BTW, I thought about rebuilding the used supercharger's snout, then dropping the entire supercharger in (body/rotors, too) in place of my 'old' one. But I'm not sure how to determine if the rotors are sound.)

Thanks for any/all opinions. :)

Alan
Your idea is certainly sound. Curious though. Wy not send out the 105k sc for rebuilding then swap out the entire unit? You can probably have that entire unit gone through by Dave Dalke for a song.

Sounds like a perfectly good plan.

I wouldn't worry about a light scratch on the sealing surfaces. Anaerobic sealer is the factory type sealant used, but many here use (copper?) RTV instead. I used anaerobic on my rebuild and it leaks a little bit (no scratches at all). I'm going to try RTV next time. The leaks are in the middle of the long sides, between the bolts.

Back