Oil separators/catch cans

90whtbrd

After searching on oil separators/ catch cans I am still unclear about hose routing. Do both DS and PS pcv valves tee into one hose to enter oil separator/ catch can and exit to either the intake before TB or after TB, meaning one would have to be blocked since there are two. I was also wondering if an oil filter relocation unit might serve as a suitable oil separator/ catch can mounted upright "somewhere in there". Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Thanks for the correction, but misty oil is still entering thru to the back of the manifold under vacuum I believe or what is the function of the DS fitting for.

After searching on oil separators/ catch cans I am still unclear about hose routing. Do both DS and PS pcv valves tee into one hose to enter oil separator/ catch can and exit to either the intake before TB or after TB, meaning one would have to be blocked since there are two. I was also wondering if an oil filter relocation unit might serve as a suitable oil separator/ catch can mounted upright "somewhere in there". Thanks in advance for any and all input.

PS PCV Valve gets connected to one side of the oil catch can and the other side of the oil catch can connects to where the previous PCV Valve connection went to, should be back of intake plenum on one of the ports there.

I have absolutely no oil in my supercharger or lower intercooler piping(when I still had it). Mine works out great

Smitty

So both the PS and DS empty into catch can and nothing is returned to air intake before or after TB.

I thought there was one loop drawing with vacuum from both valve covers into oil separator/catch can being cleaned and returned to intake after TB.

The ds fitting goes to the air tube between the tb and maf and does not change. This is the air intake into the block. The ps pcv valve you disconnect and attach it to the intake side of the oil catch can. The hose that you disconnected from the pcv is attached to the output side of the oil catch can. This way you have air going into the block on the ds and being removed on the ps into the oil catch can and clean air going into the plenum instead of oil soaked air.

What seperator/catch cans are everyone using? I see a lot for new shelbys ect, but don't care for billet alum anything, and r pricy. What is the best "bang for the buck" if ur not looking for shiney pretty?

Thanks
Adam

Many thanks to all that replied. Mike8675309 the second I started to read the post you supplied I knew I had been there before, I guess I am going to start writing things down. Truly my intention is not to be lazy and just ask without searching, but sometimes posts on a given subject can be lengthy and not all are in agreement and can get lost in my memory banks i.e. the need to write things down. Thanks again I am now clear on the hose routing.teeing the two valve covers into one and into the oil separator/ catch can was the only way that made sense to me, just had to make sure.

Last edited:
I see I have to correct my last post, there is no tee between valve covers,oil separator/ catch can is hooked up only between PS valve cover and inlet as was already posted above. Sorry for taking up time here, because of hasty research. Wondering if anyone is filtering air/mist from DS valve cover to the air intake.

Last edited:
I originally plumbed in a single separator, and then added a second, just because.

Took the hard plastic line off the PCV, then pointed it forward and added lines to the separators near the intake.

Attachments

• SCOilSep00.jpg
    SCOilSep00.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 201
  • SCOilSep01.jpg
    SCOilSep01.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 216
  • SCOilSep02.jpg
    SCOilSep02.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 202
  • SCOilSep04.jpg
    SCOilSep04.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 219
Super clean install, just what I was looking for. Imo the least amount of oil/mist you can remove out of the combustion the better.

Parts house,cost and time? What amount of oil caught, miles on motor, last rebuild, what mods, let us know.

I originally plumbed in a single separator, and then added a second, just because.

Took the hard plastic line off the PCV, then pointed it forward and added lines to the separators near the intake.

I had the same type of seperator on my car about 4 years ago. It worked great at removing the oil, but it didn't hold much before needing to be drained and it only lasted about 6 months before it pretty much fell apart from the heat.

The AMW unit shown in this thread has been on the car for over a year and it works great and has enough capacity to easily go 3000 miles before it needs to be drained.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111004&highlight=catch

Moroso and a few other companies are also making oil seperators with an average price of around $150.00.

David

I know this question is pretty well covered now. I thought I would't need a larger catch can,running bone stock. The smaller double catch cans seemed to be a great answer for my car as I wasn't expecting a great deal of oil/mist to be generated. Then I saw a can being emptied on a N/A brand X (chevy) with 25,000 miles, I will for sure be getting or fabricating a larger can. Sorry for such a late post, but thanks for all the input.

Sorry I may have been unclear in my last post. The car I mentioned above had 25,000 miles on it but the can was being emptied during a 3,000 mile oil change.That amount of oil would have overwhelmed even 2 of the smaller catch cans pictured.

PS PCV Valve gets connected to one side of the oil catch can and the other side of the oil catch can connects to where the previous PCV Valve connection went to, should be back of intake plenum on one of the ports there.

I have absolutely no oil in my supercharger or lower intercooler piping(when I still had it). Mine works out great

Smitty
What do you do with the hose that comes from the firewall, goes to the pcv valve and also broke off into another rubber hose going back to the intake plenum. Because at the moment I have my catchcan hooked up like you explain and I just have this thin line coming from the firewall with no home for it. Can I use a line plug and plug it? I have. A screw in it rn but that’s just until I can get to the auto store.

Attachments

• 9FCA3C52-9225-4BB5-8396-E5AC064F359B.jpeg
    9FCA3C52-9225-4BB5-8396-E5AC064F359B.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 8F2C95E6-48E0-4EDA-864D-EB0FBD4CF57C.jpeg
    8F2C95E6-48E0-4EDA-864D-EB0FBD4CF57C.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 9
Back