Upper Radiator Hose?

johnwartjr

Well, I got a bit of a surprise today. Found a puddle under the car. Popped the hood, and found a hole worn in the upper radiator hose, caused by the A/C compressor rubbing it.

Now, the A/C compressor wasn't rubbing it when I installed the new hose earlier this year!

I'm using the Dayco 71418 hose - is there a better choice?

Now, I've got a hell of a mess to clean up!

I was having problems getting the correct upper rad hose, I went everywhere. Same incorrect hose every time, finally I tried the upper rad hose for a n/a 3.8 and works great, best part was that one I didn't have to wait for 3 day's.

I had to trim my SC upper radiator hose to give enough clearance. It's good that your found it in the garage and not after the car overheated!

Just an update...

The Dayco hose says it's an exact fit in one area, and says 'cut to fit' in another. When I installed it before, I had bad motor mounts, and the engine sat significantly lower in the engine compartment.

After the mounts were replaced, I guess the engine raised up, but not the radiator, and the hose started rubbing the A/C compressor.

I found another Dayco hose at an Advance Auto Parts 30 miles from me, picked it up, and took a closer look. Ended up trimming about 2-3 inches off the end that goes to the radiator, and now, it's far away from the compressor.

Did I cut it too short?

hoses_compared.jpg

If you can see it in the photo...I found a formed plastic hose cover off an Aerostar at the yard, as I recall - it's split lengthwise. I figure it will take any beating first if the A/C pulley gets close for whatever reason.

Attachments

• SC_EngineBay04.jpg
    SC_EngineBay04.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 90
I don't think you cut it too short. No kinks in the bends. It's far from the condenser. Looks about right. The job of the hose is to provide a passageway for hot antifreeze to flow to the thermostat at the correct pressure w/o any leaks. The exact factory placement is not important. I'd say you did a good job. I always order a spare hose (upper, lower & bypass) to keep in the garage. Just in case I develop a bad hose leak, I won't have to order one. I also have to cut down the radiator end of every upper hose an inch or two. You may have to retighten the clamps after a week or two to scare away any small leaks.

Last edited:
If you can see it in the photo...I found a formed plastic hose cover off an Aerostar at the yard, as I recall - it's split lengthwise. I figure it will take any beating first if the A/C pulley gets close for whatever reason.

That's a great idea.

As others have posted, I have pretty much always had to cut the hose a little shorter to get comfortable clearance around the AC pump. They seem to make the hoses a little long and should be labeled, "cut to fit". lol Another thing people seem to do a lot (I've seen this a bunch of times) is they tend to put the hose on backwards. It will fit both ways, but clearance is dramatically affected if you make this mistake.

I used a parts store upper radiator hose with no problems at all. I think it was from Dayco. I might have cut a little bit off the hose for better fitment, but I don't remember it, so either it worked or I figured it out before starting the car. I would have remembered a failed hose. :)

Back