I smell fuel

superdadsc

I have been noticing bad fuel millage with my car. I am at the exhaust shop trying to see how to quiet my system down.On the lift you can smell raw gas but can't see any leaks.Any common problems with this car? Guess I need to drop the fuel tank.is there a gasket or common fuel leak with the fuel pump, etc.

The fuel pump pickup / sending unit gasket is a common leak point, especially if it has been removed before. Also, there is a crossover tube that could have a crack and/or the filler neck too.

Thanks Doc. Are those all as accessable when you drop the tank.Are any of those parts special order or will my local auto part store have them?

Stephen

The cross tube is just a large fuel line hose about 12" long. I'm not sure about the filler neck hose. The sending unit gasket is still available aftermarket, last I checked.

With the tank dropped, you should be able to check all these. You might be able to see where fuel has leaked out of the sending unit gasket with the tank still in the car.

Also, I have had the solder joint of one of the metal tubes bust loose, causing a leak...might check that too.

You might have a hard time finding the fuel hose, but I found that marine supply stores are a great resource for it.

I had to replace the fuel pump housing gasket on my car as well. It leaked badly when the tank was close to full.

Back