95 SC runs horribly.....new guy seeks wisdom

Roadracer

Hey all, I'm brand new to forced induction and SC's. Have a 93 automatic that's absolutely awesome! Couldn't ask for better.

So impressed I bought a 95 5 speed. Got a smokin' deal because the previous owner defaulted on the used car dealer that financed it for him. The dealer told me it wouldn't stay running because the cats were stopped up. I replaced the cats, no joy.

The engine will start after cranking, idle at 1200rpm (rough) for about 4 sec then slowly die. If I push on the gas it falls flat on it's face. I changed the plugs, that helped a bit but not near enough. After reading thru the threads I suspected a vacuum/charge pipe leak. I removed and sealed up the plumbing still no difference. drained then added fresh fuel, r&r fuel filter, no help

When it does run it has a dead miss, no doubt. It back fires thru the exhaust.
I noticed there was alot of 'wet' residue in the intake plumbing that smelled like gas and the engine oil smells like gas as well.

I appreciate any help you guys can provide. Sincere plea from a humble new guy

I don't know a whole lokt but you might check the coil pack and cps, We have been through similar situations and one of them were the culpurt. But don't know about the wet in intake? Do you know have the hg's been replaced? Don't know if that would account for that.

Alton VA - where that is located...we have a pretty good group of guys here in VA that cover all corners of the state. If you're near Roanoke I wouldn't mind coming over and seeing what you have going.

Sounds like it may possible have the wire firing order incorrect, could also be a cam sensor as well. Some first thoughts that come to mind.

Here's a link to firing order - http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68255

-Tim

My 95...

... Had very similar issues before I put a rebuilt motor in. Some of the problems continued after. Here are some tests to do in order:
1. On the RF fender by the ignition control module (ICM) is a connector with only 2 pink wires going to it. Pull the plug out of it. That disconnects the input of the Camshaft position sensor. If it idles you have a problem with either that sensor or the wiring.

2. Mark the crank at the timing mark and with same plug pulled check the timing on each wire. I found a bad coil by looking at each spark plug wire and found that 2 and 6 were firing at the same time as 1.

3 If its still not running after 1. Check your fuel pressure. It should be between 30 and 40 lbs with the ignition on, and also during idle. If you apply vacuum to it it should increase in pressure ( as I recall). It should also be dry inside. Also, if you stop the pump by turning off the engine the pressure not drop more than 5 lbs. If it does it indicates that you have leaking injectors.

4. The other things that cause these not to idle are crank position (CKP) senser, ICM, and MAF. Besides the Cam position sensor these are the most likely. And after those is the IAC (idle air control valve) on the side of the throttle body. It should have 10K ohms resistance between either terminal and its body, 500 to 100 ohms between the terminals, seal when no electricity is to it, open with 12 volts, and its supply circuit should read 3-7 or volts when idling.

5 Do a compression test.

Hope some of these hints help. I cannot remember the coil resistances but if you need I can get them.

Sounds like the DIS module is gone. Mounted on the left side of the engine just right of the ac compressor. The engine will run like a lawnmower when its fried.

Many thanks

Thank you all so much for responding to my question .

Sorry it took so long to respond, I had a hasty deployment and have recently returned.

Getting ready to punch out for two more weeks but upon my return will get back on it with gusto.

Thanks for the local help offer Tim, I work in Alton, Virginia but actually live in Lynchburg so I'm only about 50 miles from you. I might take you up on your offer

Thanks again guys!

I vote for incorrect firing order on the coil too.

But it also really sounds like head gaskets.

Good Luck.

Back