Derelict SC morphing to 56 F100

jclars

Well, that title ought to either get me singed in the flames or hung for mutiny.

Sorry, I have joined this forum under the worst pretenses, as I am taking an non-running 89 SC that was given to me and utilizing it as a parts car for a hot rod project. So it will live on, and may even be good press if the transplant is successful.

So far, I have installed the IRS in the rear. (see pic but avoid if faint of heart) It fit perfectly. My hope is that the engine and AT will also fit. I am currently tearing down the top end of the engine to replace the head gaskets and reassemble the SC. Will check the valves for condition while heads are open. After repairs, I would like to start the engine while still in the car and prior to moving it over to the truck to ensure that it will at least start. Very brief run time is expected. I am not looking to tune it or get it road worthy at this point.

My questions are as follows:

1. Can I start the engine for simply a brief period without hooking everything back up? I am thinking leaving master cyclinder disconnected, inter-cooler off, ps and ac off, no recirc cooling to speak of with bypass hoses to circumvent possible leaks from water already in the system. Are there electronics that will need to be connected on these systems that might prevent starting?

2. Is there a dimensioned cross sectional diagram showing the motor mount positions that might be available? Is anyone aware of anyone else who has mounted this engine from scratch? Does it match mounts on any other common Ford block?

3. I am utilizing a Jag front IFS and wondering if the T-bird master cylinder will work. The T-bird IRS has disks as well. I have heard of people using the Jag MC on similar change outs, but the T-bird is newer, so presumably more modern.

4. What is the best way to clean out the inside of the super charger? The PO had a kid start tearing it apart and left the cover off. There is crud and cat hair, etc inside. It turns smoothly, but I would like to get it back to a pristine condition.

Okay, I donned my fire proof suit. Appreciate all the knowledge I have already gleened on this excellent forum!

Thanks,
John Larsen
Lynden, WA

Picks of my project thus far can be viewed here if interested:

http://s647.photobucket.com/albums/uu195/jclars/1956 Ford F-100 Pick-up/

Attachments

• 7 IRS install complete.jpg
    7 IRS install complete.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 11,713
1. If you try and start with out the IC hooked up you will have a MASSIVE vacuum leak. Must have the Idle Air Control, Crank and Cam Sensors, Ignition Control Module and Coil all plugged in; I suppose it will run--not well--with the rest left off. I've started mine with no belts so that is not a problem.

As for the trans you need to ditch that stock 89 AOD, it will not hold up to any mods to the powertrain. I suggest either a 99+ 4R70W, a built AOD, or a manual.

forget about the tbird master. As for the SC if it has gotten water in it its probably shot..Cheap enough to get used.

May start...

I think its a cool project

Thanks for the responses so far. I believe the car was shut off as soon as white smoke was seen from the exhaust, and I cant see obvious corrosion on the inside of the SC. Where would the damage occur or be evident?

What are the disadvantages of the T-bird master cylinder? Attractive as it is firewall mounted, but I do have other options. It was a bugger to get out when the drivers door is blocked by a wall!!!

I was told the AT had been rebuilt just before having to be shut down. Perhaps a shift kit would poop it up a little? I wasnt going to build the engine right away, as stock power and torque are plenty for this size truck.

I plan on boxing the frame to stiffen the entire length. Lots of twisting wanting to happen I'm sure.

Thanks again - please keep thoughts coming! What about the motor mounts - anyone able to provide data there? Do they match the modular engines like the 4.6L?

John L.

Id leave transmission alone for now. The bird has ABS and on an 89 its not your typical master booster. Sell it and but something normal:O)

As far as corrosion inside SC. The blower works based of rotor and case tolerences to produce boost. Too many things can be wrong there. I just would get another used one for now

The blower just use some very mild cleaner (superclean) At a 10-90 ratio and a hose just flush out all the crud till its clean. Blow it out real good and sit it up to drain any water out. As for the master cylinder go with mustang stuff or aftermaket, Its all so cheap now days. Dont know how big the front calipers are on that jag but a rough measurment of surface area and compare it to different year model mustangs, go on rock auto and they usally tell you what size the piston it. Im sure its going to be around a 15/16 or 1" master. Depeding on what booster you use some fine tunning will probably need to be done. I bought 3 master cylinders for my car before i was happy with pedal feel, all 1/16 larger.

Welcome aboard John, I suddenly feel a little more normal. I love your project.
I am actually building a 50 Merc and using the IRS from an MN12. I see you used the brackets from Team 321irs. They work great. How did the install go?
I have been struggling with the idea of using an SC motor as well. Looks like you have a good start. You came to the right place for SC knowledge and will not get flammed from anyone here that I know of. Keep up the great work and post some pics of your progress as you go.
Here is a link to my build so far. I can try and answer any questions about it but I'm not an expert around here by any means.
Cheers
Drew
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120240

Last edited:
I got the MC all the way out today, and man what a monster. I dont need to be told twice not to use it! The front Jag disks have to be about 11". Removing the MC certainly cleared the way to getting the heads off.

I looked at the SC again when it got to the bench and it doesnt look too bad. I will wash down as recommended and give it a go. If in final tuning in the truck, it appears worn or unusable, I will replace then. My main intent right now is to get the new head gaskets in and see if it runs okay. Then I will fit it to the truck.

Drew - I am glad there is another oddball on here! I was given the SC for free by a new son-in-law trying to get stuff out of his parents garage. I was attracted by the word "super charger" at the time, but after it was in the shop, realized the IRS was a good fit. Then some car buddys started castizing me for even considering anything but a V8 in a hot rod, and that sealed the deal. This has to work now!

I removed the radiator today after taking measurements to the engine for the possibility of using the same hoses, wiring and all, without having to modify. I think it will work! I have quite a bit of latitude having used the Jag IFS with a very sturdy subframe welded solid to the truck frame. See pic and I welcome comments from the collective wisdom on here with a gut feel as to where/how the motor mounts might work.

I think one advantage is what appears to be a rear sump on the 3.8L which is always a problem with the IFS subframe.

John L.

Attachments

• some assembly required.jpg
    some assembly required.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 1,317
  • Rad position.jpg
    Rad position.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 1,338
  • Rad vs engine room.jpg
    Rad vs engine room.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 1,256
Just read thru Drew's excellent build post and am excited that I have found someone with a similar bent in their project. And such an encouraging group as well! But I see I better post evidence of some T-bird SC remnant. So, note the rear wheels in the pic. Fully bonafide t-bird. I actually like the wheels, but wish they weren't such an unusual bolt pattern! I am probably going to have them redrilled to the Jag (chevy) pattern so they match.

The following is the truck in it's "before" stance with straight axles and leaf springs. The "after" stance will probably be close to its running height, but I am going to be discussing air bags with Drew to learn how low it can go. The front is not loaded yet, but I understand this particular IFS (jag XJ6) wont drop but another 1" with load.

Really appreciate the feedback thus far, but be warned, I am just getting started on this transplant!

Thanks,

John L.

Attachments

• Before - stock susp..jpg
    Before - stock susp..jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 1,246
  • After - Jag IFS-Tbird IRS.jpg
    After - Jag IFS-Tbird IRS.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 1,249
I like it, and consider myself a confirmed car-nut...I have a 54 Chevy five window pickup that is about to go under the ax. I'm retiring for the second time in December and ought to have a lot more time (although not much more money) to work on my projects.....yes projects with an "s".......Dan

I love those pick-ups. I want one too. To me, it does not really make a difference what powers it to me...but a blown SC would be cool.

SWS

John, the truck looks great in those pictures. Love the before and after shots. Being new to the old trucks as I was you may want to check this site out as well, for anything other than your SC plans. They dont know much about them over there but more info than you could ever read about building an old truck. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/
I have learned a lot from those guys too and where I got the idea of using the IRS for mine.
Cheers.
Drew

Thanks guys, I joined that ford site for my 2003 F150 flareside and got lots of good ideas for upgrades on the 4.6L. I also got some good feedback on this build over their, but hooked up with lots of ideas on the HAMB forum at jalopyjournal.com. It seems that many of the ford guys cross over to one and the other.

That all said, I have not found anyone putting the 3.8L SC in any of the builds at either forum, although just last week I came upon an example of a 50's era Chev 3100 with the SC engine in it. Looked nice. (Now I cant find the link, so will post it when I get it.) This could be leading edge of a hot new trend...

John L.

Looking for our completed pics of the blue 56 we did. Probably have them in a post around here somewhere. The IRS install was fun and we used a MC from a Crown Vic.

Here are some pics of the 1953 5 window for Dan's benefit - I couldnt find the video I had viewed of the truck running. Anyone on here know who's truck it is?

Attachments

• 1953 Chev 5 window with 3.8L V6 SC.jpg
    1953 Chev 5 window with 3.8L V6 SC.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 204
  • 53 Chev with 3.8L V6 SC.jpg
    53 Chev with 3.8L V6 SC.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 208
Back