PDA

View Full Version : ABS Pump, Accumulator Ball, or Relay?

Melon
10-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Yesterday, the ABS light and brake light came on a few times while driving and each time when I turned the car off, I could hear the pump running. It's happened a few times in the last month or so. This time, when I got home from work, the pump must kept cycling and ended up draining the battery because I had absolutely nothing today (thank goodness it's my day off) The brake pedal hasn't felt any different. It's always had a good feel to it.

Curious where I should start on checking and possibly replacing to cure the problem. I did search, but it seems like anything I read the brake pedal either felt very firm or went soft and mine did neither.

Thanks

David Neibert
10-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Yesterday, the ABS light and brake light came on a few times while driving and each time when I turned the car off, I could hear the pump running. It's happened a few times in the last month or so. This time, when I got home from work, the pump must kept cycling and ended up draining the battery because I had absolutely nothing today (thank goodness it's my day off) The brake pedal hasn't felt any different. It's always had a good feel to it.

Curious where I should start on checking and possibly replacing to cure the problem. I did search, but it seems like anything I read the brake pedal either felt very firm or went soft and mine did neither.

Thanks

If you hear the pump running and cycling on and off, then it's most likely a bad accumulator. Weird thing is it shouldn't be running with the key off so the drained battery thing doesn't make sense.

David

S_Mazza
10-05-2012, 05:11 PM
If it runs with the key off (and keeps running and running), then the ABS relay is stuck. Don't let it run all night, it will wear out the pump motor. (Or the brushes, at least.)

Melon
10-05-2012, 06:05 PM
I got it charged enough to start and someplace where I can work on it.

Should I get a new relay? (Are they still available?) Or check the local yards and get one to test? (What years are compatible?)

Thanks guys for the quick responses :)

S_Mazza
10-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Yes, they're still available. The part cross-references to a number of relays from different manufacturers. It is a 5-pin relay, not the standard 4-pin. So they might be special order. The part number should be on here if you search. I think the OEM part was a brown Bosch one, but I can't say for sure. Pep Boys got one for me, but I had to give them the number.

To protect the electrics, if the motor keeps running, either unplug the relay (on the firewall, near the BAP sensor) or take off the battery cable.