Why i lost 3rd and 4th gear...

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
1010120920.jpg

The fork on the left is the factory fork and the one on the right is one the local mustang guru makes he guarantees them to not break!

That is one beefy part. How much does he want for them? Also after you get it installed I must know how it feels. You ups and downs to that arm.

150$ a fork (not bad for how much work is involved in making them) I will it you know how it is he said they feel no different than stock when shifting

Yup, the 3-4 fork on the T45. I have broken 3 stock ones in 3 different transmissions. The last time, I got the same one that you got, and it has been perfect since. I never had a new T45, only used ones, but after replacing the fork with this one, I was not able to notice any difference compared to before it broke.

I currently skip shift from 1-3 or 2-4 all the time...I can roll of a stop sign in 2nd all day long{unless there is a cop?}

how did you drive home with 1,2 & 5th gears? That would be interesring:eek:

my trip was 85% interstate and 15% highway so it wasnt bad at all . If i actually wind 2nd gear out its 80mph! so getting up to 50/55 in 2nd was no big deal then i went to 5th and stayed there almost the entire time.

my trip was 85% interstate and 15% highway so it wasnt bad at all . If i actually wind 2nd gear out its 80mph! so getting up to 50/55 in 2nd was no big deal then i went to 5th and stayed there almost the entire time.

You are lucky the 3-4 fork broke in neutral and the broken piece didn't get wedged into the gears...could have been an entirely different ball game....someone was looking at you with favor, must have wanted your first shootout to leave a good impression. I'm pleased it worked out so well for you under the circumstances......Dan

You are lucky the 3-4 fork broke in neutral and the broken piece didn't get wedged into the gears...could have been an entirely different ball game....someone was looking at you with favor, must have wanted your first shootout to leave a good impression. I'm pleased it worked out so well for you under the circumstances......Dan

I know it!!! Glad it wasn't the 1/2 fork! That would have been real bad!

It almost always breaks in neutral, because it brakes on the 3-4 shift. One of the ones that I broke locked the trans in 4th because the fork cracked and cocked sideways a little, but didn't break all the way, so it bound up. That time I had to get towed home cause try as I might, a stock 4.6 with 3.27s just would not start the car moving in 4th gear. The other 2 times I broke them, once at the track and once on the street, I was able to drive it home with 1,2, and 5. In fact the time I broke one on the street, I was broke and didn't have any other car, so I drove the car without 3rd or 4th for a couple weeks until I saved up some money and found a cheap replacement T45.

As far as the strength of the T45, the only problem I really see with them is the 3-4 fork breaking. Other than that, they seem to be pretty stout, and I know the guy who makes this replacement fork has otherwise stock T45s running in 10sec mustangs without issues.

Well got it back! Shifts much better than it ever did before. Everything is smooth and crisp!
new syncros and new 1/2, 3/4 forks! Highly recommend the billet shift forks for t45s!!

Back