LED repair

scskydivin

SCCoA Member
Is there a way to fix LED's with sections that have burnt out or just quit working? All of the late model LED lights at the junkyard look to have the burn spot on the outer edge. I got one good one from the junkyard & one that LOOKED good, but 1/2 the LED's were out, every other one. Can we somehow fix these, or am I S.O.L.?

Is there a way to fix LED's with sections that have burnt out or just quit working? All of the late model LED lights at the junkyard look to have the burn spot on the outer edge. I got one good one from the junkyard & one that LOOKED good, but 1/2 the LED's were out, every other one. Can we somehow fix these, or am I S.O.L.?

I think the "burn spot" you mention is just dirt. There are gaps at the bottom to drain any moisture that dust and dirt find their way up into. If the lens is in good shape, the only way to determine the leds functionality is to plug them in.

I think the "burn spot" you mention is just dirt. There are gaps at the bottom to drain any moisture that dust and dirt find their way up into. If the lens is in good shape, the only way to determine the leds functionality is to plug them in.

Well, that's good news! Looks like I've got another appt at Speedway Auto Salvage.

It's all good, passenger side is the one.

-Tim
Tim,
I accidentally deleted the info you sent me. I found a good light for the passenger side already. I'm trying to get the drivers side squared away now.

Here's some information on it for you:

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/exterior/led.html

I'd check out strips like these at SuperBrightLEDS.COM (note: The longer-than-16" ones? Can be trimmed down to fit properly) to replace the obsolete HP strips.

Past that, if you remove the strip. you SHOULD be able to find some replacement LEDs for the current strip.

RwP

Thanks Ralph. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

I dont know if you guys found a way to replace the part or how to fix it
but i just recently fixed mine
i just bought aftermarket LED strips and wired them in on my 92 now the tail panels work as hazards signals and stops as well
dirty part was cuting open a square on the back to get to the inside but after all it wasnt that bad i made a video to show how the stock looked (right ) even at night
and the new (left) side

if you guys want to fix them id be glad to help you out :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6NzcY6iR1w

Back