May be a stupid question.

vaprobe87

This may be a stupid question, but how do you take the shift knob off? I tried to unscrew it but the shift boot turns with it and i can get it off.

How do you get the shift boot off the knob so I can unscrew it?

I just want to make sure I dont damage it when i take it apart.

Thanks

they are 2 seperate pieces so they must just be stuck...just get a small flathead screwdriver in between there and split them up

and yes the knob just unscrews

Grab the boot below the knob ansd spin the knob counter clock maybe too much soda spilling and getting the leather stuck

they are 2 seperate pieces so they must just be stuck...just get a small flathead screwdriver in between there and split them up

and yes the knob just unscrews

thats good to know...i always took off the knob along with the boot cuz they seemed to be one piece, which i found quite odd.

Remove the screws from the boot and put vise crip on the shaft and try and try to unscrew the knob. Or remove the entire piece and put in a vise and unscrew the knob.

Thanks for all the help. Right after I posted that I just grabed the boot and held it and unscrewed the knob. Took a little bit to get it started but then it just came right off.. I figured it probably was just stuck but didnt want to try to get it apart before I found out for sure as to not cause any damage.

The reason I took it off was to get the shift boot seperated to sew up a small split in the seam. That, and I have driven 5 speed Mustangs for a long time and so T-bird shifter never really felt right to me so I put on a extra shift knob that I had for my Mustang. It screwed right on and feels great compared to the stocker.

Back