Temperature Gauge

Seuss

I haven't driven my SC much lately, but got it out for a 200 mile trip yesterday. I noticed the temp gauge never moved the entire day, but it worked the last time I drove the car.

The low radiator warning came on as well, but I checked and the radiator and reservoir were both full. When I started the car again, the light never came back on.

Any ideas on what I should check?

Temp gauge - the usual suspects, including the connector to the temp sending unit, AND the sending unit ITSELF. Do be aware that there's at least two sending units.

Low coolant - I've been having that recently, so I swapped the sensor. Seems like the conformal coating over the circuit board in the top started melting, and it's a bit flaky now.

As a hint, 94+ cars have an almost identical unit - it'll show LOW sooner because the stalk isn't as long.

Or conversely, a 89-93 has a longer stalk that won't fit properly in a 94+ car *grins*

RwP

My problem is my temp gauge overheats all the time but all are full and engine runs fine. No smoke. No leaks. Starts off cold and goes up to max than down to 3/4 than back to max all the time. I checked the sending units with temp gun and they read normal. Do I need a new gauge?

My problem is my temp gauge overheats all the time but all are full and engine runs fine. No smoke. No leaks. Starts off cold and goes up to max than down to 3/4 than back to max all the time. I checked the sending units with temp gun and they read normal. Do I need a new gauge?
Dunno. If the car's had a hard interior life, maybe a new gauge. I'd swap out the temp sender first and check the wiring. Looseness and grime can make the needle drop off. As for the gauge pegging :eek::eek: Replace the thermostat.

Back