Need Lower ball joint help

flopes64

I have a 90 sc and last night my passenger side lower ball joint busted I went and bought a new one today from auto zone Part # FA1635 Im not sure its the right part Do you have to replace the whole arm or can i just change the ball joint and if I can just change the ball joint What kind of tools are need for the job ?????? Any info would be a huge help Thanks

I didn't do mine myself, but the lowers you just have to buy the ball joint. It's the top that you have to buy the whole control arm. I was under the impression you have to use a press to install the ball joint in the lowers though.

Where can I get the tool to press it or does like autozone do it if you bring them the arm and ball joint ?

A regular C-clamp will not suffice. You need an actual ball joint press. The OTC ball joint press will work nicely, if you try and use the less expensive OEM brand, the jaws aren't quite wide enough to fit over the new ball joint and control arm. If none of this is available to you your could use a regular hydraulic press. I found it easier to just go to Ford and purchase the entire lower A-arm for arounf $90.00 This unit comes with all new bushings and ball joint already installed. Just a thought and much easier to install. Just bolt it in and you are done.

$90? is that some sort of discounted price? last year Before mine went , iwas looking at replacing the lower right control arm and ford wanted $199 for one.

My parts guy hooked me up for $90 per side. He is a good friend of mine and I know it is one hell of a price. Who pays retail at a dealer anyway? You can always haggle with those guys, the mark up is incredible. Usually if you don't know anyone they will hook you up as a wholesale account if you are cool with them.

You can get complete Lower Control Arm for the SC at AdvancedAuto for 110USD a side and they have them in stock!

Cheers,
Calvin

O'Reillys has the complete lower arm for 59.95, the upper is the same price also. The uppers were about 72.50 a few months ago, maybe they're tryin' to clear out some old stock.

Lower joint: 42 or so.
Lower arm (complete): 60.
Upper arm (complete): 60.

O'Reillys will loan you the tools to press the joint if you leave 'em a deposit etc.

'bird

Back