how often to change oil..

I do mine by the VMM, which works out to ~2000miles (about 3 times a year). Given the fact I only drive 10mins to work ~2miles on dirt/gravel I don't feel that is too often. Especially considering BobistheOilGuy says at least twice a year due to temperature changes breaking the oil down.

I do mine by the VMM, which works out to ~2000miles (about 3 times a year).
The VMMs are notorious for going off too soon. I reset mine 3 times between oil changes. I have 300000 on my white car using the 5000 mile interval. The engine runs perfect. :cool:

I'm also down a quart by that time and I use only conventional.
Leakage from the main seal is usually the culprit, but the valve covers, timing chain cover, HB seal, and pressure sender switch can all drip as they age. Its an ongoing battle to keep leaks from leaking. :rolleyes:

Sometimes you do just learn to tolerate it. ;) To a point that is. A drip is one thing.. a puddle is another.

Leakage from the main seal is usually the culprit, but the valve covers, timing chain cover, HB seal, and pressure sender switch can all drip as they age. Its an ongoing battle to keep leaks from leaking. :rolleyes:

Sometimes you do just learn to tolerate it. ;) To a point that is. A drip is one thing.. a puddle is another.

I'm thinking front main and/or valve seats, but I have learned to tolerate it.

i/we only use 20w50 full synthetic in everything, lawnmower, race cars, dragster, daily driver, air compressor, generator, EVERYTHING

i change my filter every month and top off what i lost, i have a large filter with a relocation kit so it holds about a quart, i actually drain the old fluid into the new filter ...can't waste that sweet louisiana crude

i then religiously perform my annual oil change when i actually drain it all out and replace it

the oil looks just as golden brown when i drain it as it does when it goes in, if it doesn't then i change it sooner

I change my oil and filter twice a year regardless of mileage. I always use synthetic oil though and don't abuse my engines.

When it looks dirty I change...prob around 3k

I use full synthetic valvoline in my 91 SC and it looks dirty after the first 250 miles or one trip to the track. I use the same brand oil in the dart block 347 turbocharged motor in my 93 SC, and stays looking super clean for over 1000 miles wich usually takes a year to rack up.

David

Back