ABS light stays on. What to check first?

More than likely the pump motor isn't running. The brown antilock relay on the passenger side of the firewall may be burnt out or the pump motor itself may be bad. I'd replace the relay first and if that doesn't do it check with 'the Big E' about getting the motor rebuilt.

I had the same problem. Mine was a bad ABS sensor. If you go and start your car with your foot off the brake is the light on? If not does the light turn on right after you touch the brake?

I had the same problem. Mine was a bad ABS sensor. If you go and start your car with your foot off the brake is the light on? If not does the light turn on right after you touch the brake?

Ditto....mine was doing same thing and my abs sensor was bad

Yeah. I'm leaning towards a sensor. When I crank the car the light goes off after a few seconds and stays off. It doesn't illuminate when I press the brake pedal, but it comes on after the car starts rolling.

Yes there is one for each wheel. The one for the fronts is right behind the rotor and the one for the rears are on the rear end.

Is there an easy way to find out which one is bad?

Strangely enough, Duffy Floyd's treatise on the Teves Mk II includes how to test the ABS controller, and how to get the error codes out. And there's several that relate to the sensors.

I linked to it in a previous posting in this thread.

RwP

Back