Anybody running a Detriot Truetrac?

I have them in three different cars. I really like them. They don't bias quite as much as a clutch-style diff, but they essentially never wear out. If you install one, make sure to use conventional (non-synthetic) gear oil, and don't use traction modifier. That's straight from Eaton.

I'll be installing one in a fourth car, my Camaro, over the winter. That car eats diffs like if it keeps eating diffs it's gonna win something, so I'm going to see if the Truetrac does any better than the standard Eaton or the Auburn Racer series.

How is the drive line noise? Any different? I know you run your stuff hard so if it has held up that is a pretty big vote of confidence.

I'm running a detroit locker in mine and have been for a few years. It is a ratchet style and locks and unlocks. It will lock going around corners at low speeds when road is wet or hit a patch of gravel. Other than that it is quite streetable and strong. I'm still running 28spline with c-clips as well but they also make a 31s unit that requires eliminators. Mine is noisy when it locks and unlocks, sometimes I will hear a lound pop when it unlocks, just the way they are designed because it has been doing this since day one and still does what it's suppost to.

No input on the worm gear style but hear they are stronger than clutch style differentials.

Last edited:
My buddy is running one in his mach, so far no complaints, but this is the 4th gear set in his mach in 2 years so only time will tell.

I have one in both my Cobra and LSC (Torsen in the SC). I highly recommended it.

Over 10 years in the Cobra with 1,000+ launches, no issues at all, even with 4.56's.

I use Redline 75W90 GL5 gear oil, also without issues.

How is the drive line noise? Any different? I know you run your stuff hard so if it has held up that is a pretty big vote of confidence.

I've had no trouble with noise at all. 4+ years after installation, a dozen autoX events, and 4 Shootouts later, the car just turned its best street tire 60-foot time ever. It's solid.

It is a very nice diff, but we have torn one up. With probably 500+ drag strip launches in a 4200 lb car at 1.4-1.5 60' times. The gears were grinding into the case causing the axles to pull in and out quite a bit. And some of the case was breaking apart. The thing never completely failed tho. I just noticed the extra axle movement when changing tires and thought that isn't right.

It is a very nice diff, but we have torn one up. With probably 500+ drag strip launches in a 4200 lb car at 1.4-1.5 60' times. The gears were grinding into the case causing the axles to pull in and out quite a bit. And some of the case was breaking apart. The thing never completely failed tho. I just noticed the extra axle movement when changing tires and thought that isn't right.

Chris is this the one in the Marauder, or did you use the other Detroit rear?

In an IRS car or a solid axle car?

I had it in my car. After my alum housing started to tear at the mounting ears, the whole thing came out.

I did like it and the car launched and burned out great at the track. Around an autocross track its a little tricky, it does provide traction and it will lock them up. But its not as fluid as a heavily packed stocker. During deceleration it unwinds when you get back on it it winds up and locks. This delay is hard to feel unless you spend some time with. It feels like its giving time for the tires to grip, it doesnt kick the car sideways instantily almost like a split second lag. Turbo lag! :eek: The other car with stuffed clutch pack is more fluid, it will kick it out with minimal delay. Its hard to explain but the delay is so minor unless you spend some serious time with you would never notice.
I also didnt like the lock and unlock tap noises it made when you tip in and out with the accelerator. Will I but another one again? Probably, but money is tight and I need to make my money go further then before, so a stuffed traclok is probably whats going to go back in. Until I hit the lotto or start living of dividends. I went back and forth about selling it in the end John Ludof now has possesion of it, he can probably tell you what he thinks of it when his wifes car is done.

Last edited:
I will say that a stock stuffed is more fun when the front wheels are not facing straight. But you arent going quicker if you are spinning them.

It was in a marauder, solid axle with c clips. We have a detroit locker in it now and that is not a twisty friendly diff. It locks and unlocks abruptly.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 419
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 428
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 452
It was in a marauder, solid axle with c clips. We have a detroit locker in it now and that is not a twisty friendly diff. It locks and unlocks abruptly.

Thats pretty cool you busted one. But can you ask for more? Your Dads car is pretty hardcore. :rolleyes:

I dont think the Detroit Locker is the right diff for a street driven car. Truetrac is alot more civilized in that respect. Just dont want confused folks out there, Detroit Truetrac and Detroit Locker are two different animals.

Thats pretty cool you busted one. But can you ask for more? Your Dads car is pretty hardcore. :rolleyes:

I dont think the Detroit Locker is the right diff for a street driven car. Truetrac is alot more civilized in that respect. Just dont want confused folks out there, Detroit Truetrac and Detroit Locker are two different animals.

Yeah the car is pretty hard core. I am not knocking the tru trac its a great diff! And it never let us down.:)

Any reason for the Torsen? I see about a $200 gap in price with similar technology.

Nope. Over the years I've kept a lookout for both Torsen and Truetrac diffs, and when a good deal pops up, I buy them.

Back