1993 SC help

SuperCoupe User

Hey guys, i just acquired a 1993 Supercoupe 5-speed. the engine and heads were just rebuilt and so was the blower. Have reciepts. Anyways, the problem with the car, is that once it warms up and you drive up the road, it just stalls. When you try to crank it back over, it wont start, it just cranks. Let it sit for a little bit and it will start right back up. I have 3 different DIS including a brand new one. I also use Artic Silver for the thermal paste. I've ruled out a bad DIS. any other ideas of what this could be? I just did a hard reset on the ecu today and it idles fine. Can't drive it until i get the clutch line fixed. If you have any ideas let me know. I will post more info, but im in a hurry right now. Thanks everyone!

You might think about replacing the crank sensor and the cam sensor, too.

My car would go 'dead', tach would fall to zero, then it would suddenly start running again (all in less than a second)...finally, it would crank but not start. That turned out to be the crank sensor. Later, every once in a while the engine would abruptly (and randomly) stop running, then refire with no change in tach needle position. That was the DIS.)

Common wisdom I've read on here is, if you replace one, replace them all, DIS, crank sensor, cam sensor. That might not fix your issue, but at least you won't have the additional issue in the near future of fighting one of these simultaneously, if all three are fresh.

Alan

I've began to wonder if its possibly the IRCM? My rad fan does not work at all, and ive already checked fuses and replaced both CTS. I havent hard wired the fan but the day i was driving it home it was almost like the fuel pump just kicked off. Started right up 20 mins later though. Makes me wonder, because doesnt the ircm control the relay for the fuel pump?

I've began to wonder if its possibly the IRCM? My rad fan does not work at all, and ive already checked fuses and replaced both CTS. I havent hard wired the fan but the day i was driving it home it was almost like the fuel pump just kicked off. Started right up 20 mins later though. Makes me wonder, because doesnt the ircm control the relay for the fuel pump?

I would tend to lean that its a balancer and crank sensor problem. You may also even be missing your crank bolt. I had a 90 SC that ran for weeks with intermitten issues all because of a balancer that had failed.

IRCM is possible but I've yet to have one go out in the 20 some SC's I've owned...

-Tim

Balancer was just replaced by the previous owner. I may try a used IRCM and a crank sensor and take it from there. When cranking after it stalled, the tach wouldnt even move.

alright guys so i found a tick outday which leads me to presume its a crank sensor. i let the car idle for a little it then the car dies. i try to crank it over and it doesnt start. if i put it in gear and then do one crank, take it out of 1st, then crank her, she starts right up. i lt t idle for while and didnt have a problem. turned it off and she started right back up several of times. the harmonic balancer did break a while back, and my friend said it could if damaged the sensor. Once i replace the crank and cam sensor, i have to drop the trans and put a new clutch slave cylinder and clutch hose in. maybe possibly a new clutch and plate. sadly i cant do this until next spring. By the way, does anyone live around the cincinnati area thats wants to make a few extra bucks letting my car sit there for a bit? I fyou do or know anyone please let me know!

sounds like your on the right track,however mine did the exact same thing yours did except this one was an automatic,check the fuel pressure,mine turned out to be a bad fuel pump,it may turn out to be what you had mentioned but thought i would mention it sense our problems sounded so similar.

Back