3.8L SC fits in 1956 F-100

jclars

As a follow-up to my first round of posts concerning whether the Super coupe running gear would fit in an old pick-up, I can confirm that indeed it will!!!

I replaced the head gaskets and cleaned the top end then sorted out a missing connection at the IRCM and it fired right up! I didnt run it much, but started and restarted it numerous times to confirm that it would do the same when the time comes in the truck.

So I pulled it partly back down and yanked it out. Tagging and bagging everything to make sure I could put the puzzle back together in a different vehicle.

I fiddled with the engine alignment for quite awhile to center it and match some T-bird reference points at the front radiator mount. Also had to clear the oil pan around the Jag front IFS. The outcome had to allow the exhaust manifold to be sandwiched between the steering gear and the block. That was a perfect alignment.

I then mocked up the top end gear to ensure clearance at the firewall. Okay, so this really wasnt necessary except for a photo op.

This weeks goal is to figure out the front motor mounts. With those in place, I can start working my way back with drive train to where this mischeif all started - The t-bird IRS.

Thanks again for all the input at my first posting and through various PM's.

I will continue to utilize this thread for future updates, but here is a cross reference to the other post for continuity:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127287

Attachments

• Mock up for fit.jpg
    Mock up for fit.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 943
  • I think it is going to fit.jpg
    I think it is going to fit.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 870
I am planning on a tilt front end, by bolting fenders and hood together. Even so, I can verify that all is still much more accessible than the home from which it came, even if I left the hood opening stock. No more scratched knuckles!

By holding the headers inside the frame rails, I may even get away with the stock fender wells.

John L.

Pics showing what a nice fit this engine is with the front end in place. Everyone that sees it remarks how natural it seems to fit. I couldnt agree more!

John L

Attachments

• LH View at front.jpg
    LH View at front.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 741
  • Full engine bay.jpg
    Full engine bay.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 723
I will be using the T-bird AT. It only had 2000 miles on a rebuild when the car blew a head gasket. When I drained the ATF, it was still bright red.

After I put new motor mounts in, the motor sat a little higher, so consequently the AT also had to be elevated to obtain a good pinion angle. I had to cut the relatively flat floorboards out to make room, so I will cut the tranny tunnel from the donor car, along with floor shift, and weld it into place. As the seats are also a good fit, they will also end up in the new home.

Next I will see if I can utilize the steering column and wheel. That would be great. I am going to try using the SC power steering pump on the Jag front. The Jag used a GM Saginaw pump, so I am hoping to get close on the psi. Does anyone know the pressure rating on the T-bird pump?

Thanks,
John L.

Last edited:
Min Pressure 1200 PSI
Max Pressure 1380 PSI

Min Flow 1.4 gal/min
Max Flow 3 gal/min

From the 93 Service manual list idle at 1500RPM for these numbers. This is the same for all CII pumps

John, you are killing me man. That engine looks awesome in there. Truck looks great, you are making some real progress fast.great job.
Drew

I think this is the third time the engine has been in and out. The latest reversal occured when I removed the cab for the first time. I found a multitude of frame issues, which explained a lot of the alignment problems I was experiencing. I had to refit the engine/tranny and body again this time to make sure everything lined up, and now I am good to go. So the Body and mechanical will be stripped one more time to final weld the frame, then I can go forward again. I must say, I am getting quite familiar with how this engine goes together. A good thing!

Shooting to maybe get it started during Christmas break, but I dont expect it to be drivable.

Drew, you NEED a 3.8 SC in that F1!

Thanks for the pump info. Happily looks like another green light for SC parts! I may have to use the ends off the Jag hoses to make it work, but thats a small cost.

No headers yet - I am simply pleased that the stock manifolds actually miss the steering column - a very common issue on these conversions.

John

I am in the throes of moving the electrical harnesses from the 89 SC to the F100. Whoa, there are a lot of terminals.

Took me three nights work to get the dash untangled from the web. I have tried to label everything for reassembly, but I am sure I will be posting for help come start-up.

Wondering what basic connections are necessary to just get the engine running, without any bells and whistles? Are there certain safety switches that need connecting for allowing ignition?

At this time I plan on using the steering, lights, electric seats, gauges, gas pump, tranny/shifter and possibly the heater.

Attachments

• Not for the feint of heart - moving harness to truck.jpg
    Not for the feint of heart - moving harness to truck.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 363
The attached pic shows the interior using the full T-bird accessories. Seats, steering, console, shifter and instrument cluster.

The only temporary item is the instrument cluster, but it works for now and actually might be able to be faired into the dash with some minor mods. The trucks dash was the victim of a hack job, so no big loss if I do some further hacking.

On a related start-up post, I announced the successful start-up of the engine today. It started without a lot of effort. It surges every so often, but I havent allowed full warm up as yet due to a radiator drain issue (see other post).

I have now converted two V8 ney sayer friends to this 3.8L SC installation. They looked at the beautiful fit of this engine, along with its tough look, and admitted they were wrong about hot rod trucks needing a V8! No better satisfaction than being right!!!

Next up - air bags for the IRS, then maybe fix the final ride height by selecting and fitting custom wheels. Thinking 18" front and rear. Maybe 8"W in front and 9.5" in back. Dont think I can squeeze any wider inside the fenders.

Thanks for the continued encouragement. If there are any links for a color wiring diagram available, I could use it to trace the wires I no longer need, such as the ABS system, etc.

John L.

Attachments

• Interior by T-bird.jpg
    Interior by T-bird.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 328
Back