PDA

View Full Version : SC Seat Question

nvr_enuf
10-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Hello everyone,

Does any company offer new seat foam / buns for the SC front seats?

Also, I broke the plastic "t" that the head rest posts slide into. I was not aware that the top piece threaded into the seat. I assume the plastic piece I broke is not serviceable / I would have to take the seat cover off to get at the plastic piece I broke which would be a real pain.

Scott

RalphP
10-28-2012, 10:33 PM
That "T" is still available, I had to order four when reskinning the seats in Ruby. They weren't much, something like $20 shipped.

But yes, you do.

And you're supposed to remove the bolsters to take the seat back off.

I had to rebuild one that was broken on mine.

RwP

TbirdSCFan
10-29-2012, 12:14 AM
There is a metal clip that fits through a slot in the plastic T that locks the HR into position. You have to grope around waaaayyy up into the seat cover to remove the clip.

TbirdSCFan
10-29-2012, 12:18 AM
I had to rebuild one that was broken on mine.

RwP Same here.. some epoxy, a couple of tiny drilled holes and bailing wire to reassemble broken "T" fittings such that the aforementioned clip would work again.

S_Mazza
10-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Hello everyone,

Does any company offer new seat foam / buns for the SC front seats? ...

No, there is no aftermarket replacement. The factory ones dried up years ago. I went through this with another SC I owned, when the seat comfort got really bad.

What you can do is to re-use your existing cushion and add some foam to the underside. That way, the shape stays the same for the seat cover and it still looks good.

However, I have found that there are larger issues with the stock seats. The way the seat frame is built is just crazy when you look at it without the cushion on. There is a big piece of thick sheetmetal that rises up to clear the seatbelt just by your right hip. And a mount for the spring suspension juts out of it. It makes a huge pressure point, and I think that even with fresh foam, it would only have been barely adequate for a heavier person. And there is another pressure point up front, under the front part of your thighs. That is a jutting piece of sheetmetal that apparently is only as high as it is so that the lumbar pump can fit under it without jutting out the bottom of the seat at all. But there is room under that part of the seat, so it could have been done differently. Or the lumbar pump could be mounted somewhere else.

I am actually working on a prototype replacement seat bottom frame that would eliminate these problems and allow use of the stock cushion and accessories. I haven't gotten too far with it yet, though. I am talking to a fabricator, but haven't drawn it up yet.

TbirdSCFan
10-29-2012, 11:44 AM
What you can do is to re-use your existing cushion and add some foam to the underside. That way, the shape stays the same for the seat cover and it still looks good. Good idea. And you can use a stiffer foam underneath which will help with overall support. Then, build up the upper side with thin/softer foam for comfort.

For anyone wanting to attempt this, Id advise getting a pair of hog-ring pliers as you really need to pull the seat covers off to do the job.

S_Mazza
10-31-2012, 09:50 AM
Good idea. And you can use a stiffer foam underneath which will help with overall support. Then, build up the upper side with thin/softer foam for comfort.

For anyone wanting to attempt this, Id advise getting a pair of hog-ring pliers as you really need to pull the seat covers off to do the job.

Good point. There are a few hog rings scattered about the seats. (Which are really just short bits of soft wire with pointy ends, bent into a ring ... about the same as what you put in a hog's nose to stop him from rooting ... hence the name.)

Hog ring pliers do help, especially with installation. But you can fake it with a pair of long needle-nose pliers. Pull the handles apart to spread the rings. And finagle the rings back together when done.

Also, I thought I would mention that I did look into the cost of new seat foam buns a few years ago. To get new aluminum molds made would cost something like $4,000. And that would be for one side. So it is not likely to happen without a major commitment and group buy.

However, as I said, I researched the comfort issue further (because it was literally a pain in my rear end!) and I think that a new frame and suspension will drastically improve comfort while allowing the use of the original cushion, with some reinforcement padding underneath. I think that is the better solution in the end. (The rear end.)