8.8 gears from Crown Vic the same as SC?

philiplane

i've come cross some 3.27 gears & traction lok carrier from a 2005 Crown Vic.

Any idea if the pinion gear is the same length as the SC set up?

I would think so, but would like some input. I haven't seen the PN's on the ring & pinion yet.

Thanks

From Ford, 8.8s are 8.8s.

I don't think the tracloc will swap, but if it's 28 spline, AND it's got the proper machining for the circlips on the half shafts, you'll be good to use it also.

Given it's any good, that is.

(I could probably hunt up if the Panthers got 28 or 31 spline, but I'd rather leave that as an exercise for the OP)

RwP

I believe they are 28 spline. I think some of the cop cars and limos got the 31 splines. I do know the 03-04 marauders where 28 spline with a 3.55 gear.

this set up is from a low mileage Grandpa Crown Vic that was totaled at an intersection by a red light runner, so it's probably good as new. I just didn't know if the IRS pumpkin was different length at the pinion versus the straight axle in the Crown Vic. They are both 28 splines.

Thanks for the input!

this set up is from a low mileage Grandpa Crown Vic that was totaled at an intersection by a red light runner, so it's probably good as new. I just didn't know if the IRS pumpkin was different length at the pinion versus the straight axle in the Crown Vic. They are both 28 splines.

Thanks for the input!

That would give as the other point it may not have the bevel for the circlips that are on the half shafts to hold them in place.

There's a fix for that - actually two. Cheap/n/dirty is to remove the circlips. Proper is to pull the gears, have a bevel machined into them, and then reassemble the traclok.

Or ignore that and learn how to curse in at least a dozen languages when you DO need to pull the half shafts ... :p:p

RwP

Back