PDA

View Full Version : Doing Research

Rollinthunder
10-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Im lookin to buy my second SC. The first one was a 91 automatic car and I didnt know anything about Birds in general. I know the 92/95's come with a better SC and ABS system. But how much better performers are they and is there any other major differences than the earlier styles? Any real reliability issues other than the head gaskets? I have my eye on an 89 SC with the manual trans right now. I've also read a while back that there's somthing different about the 89's compared to the rest of them. I know the 89's have the biggest sway bars but I thought someone said the have the best cam in it too. Can anyone elaborate on these subjects for me? Thanks.

David Neibert
10-30-2012, 04:42 PM
The better superchargers didn't come along until the 94/95 model and that is also when they started using electronic automatic transmissions.

David

Rollinthunder
10-31-2012, 09:43 PM
Oops. I meant to put 94/95 instead of 92/95. Thanks for the reply Dave. I,ve always wanted a 5 speed SC. This would be my fourth T-bird and would like to make it my last and get it done right. When it comes to mods I will be pickin your brain later for those, lol. Im not gonna get wild with it. Just want to make it an awesome street car. I talked to Jeff Bratton who has had his SC for years and basically filled me in on the ABS issues they have but says no other real problems other than the head gaskets. I think removing the resonator and opening up the manifold exits to releave the heat on the gaskets correct? Thanks.

XxSlowpokexX
10-31-2012, 09:58 PM
My 89 was the best running and handling SC I ever owned. The 94/95 are more refined however in my opinion giving you a better compromise in handling and comfort. Me id buy a 94/95 and upgrade the suspension. Its an overall better car. If you plan on making over 800 rwhp however we dont have the proper coding for the 94/95 EEC. Just throwing that out there :D

Mike8675309
10-31-2012, 10:48 PM
Actually 93+ have the Teves Mark VI ABS system and vac powered brakes. Before that it was Teves Mark II abs system and an integrated abs master cylinder with hydraulic assist. The only thing that would have me prefer the 94/95 over the 93 would be getting rid of the automatic seat belts.

Rollinthunder
11-01-2012, 07:02 PM
This is great input guys. I like the opinions. What r some things I should do immediatly after I get it from a more preventative maitinence standpoint. Im gonna be more of a doing the supporting mods first before any performance mods are done. Example I know upping the boost via pulley change is prolly gonna generate more heat. What should I do first to prevent that from becoming excessive and causing damage. With 35k on it should I flush the trans andis there any preferred fluid to put in it? I know the m5r2 is not an easy trans to come by. Thanks guys.

Mike8675309
11-01-2012, 09:11 PM
GM Syncromesh is the most popular mix for the 5 speed, with some ford friction modifier added in.

There was a poll where that question popped up:http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40320&highlight=synchromesh

xr7 Dave has posted some threads where he has done testing with various mods to judge the value, against dyno and track results.
One is here (must be a member) http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98215

Comments on gears
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108066

Path to 450rwhp
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63873

Different mods and dyno charts
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67686

If you know you want to do some stuff down the road, but want to do it smart, contact XR7 Dave and give him your hopes, and then listen to his suggestions. He can help you make smart decisions so that the majority of your effort moves you forward, rather than sideways or worse, backwards.

Rollinthunder
11-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks Mike, awesome info. Definatly want to make the car last years and withstand some punishment. Not to mention take down some newer Comaros and Mustangs:). Reliability is the upmost importance to me however so modding it up the correct way is what im lookin for. Thanks.

David Neibert
11-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Changing the resonator isn't really going to do anything to extend the life of the headgaskets. The stock style gaskets just degrade over time (usually 80K-100K miles normal driving) and there really isn't anything you can do to avoid them eventually failing.

Hot running motor, restrictive exhaust, overdriving a blower to the moon and running less than 91 Octane will certianly hasten their failure...but the only way you are going to insure they last a long time without failing, is to replace them with a set of MLS gaskets before they fail.

Doing that is pretty expensive and I wouldn't do it, just for the better gaskets. I suggest saving up for a set of ported heads with oversized valves and a custom cam, then install the upgraded head gaskets and a set of ARP studs while swapping the heads and cam.

David