Phantom vibration solved!

threebyfour

Just wanted to throw this one out there for anyone with a mysterious vibration these cars seem to develop. Long story short,,,had a vibe around 75/80 that would shake the steering wheel bad, had my bud travel next to me on both sides, nothing seen, had the tires balanced multiple times, even tried new tires. Still there, went on for a good while until we got some good weather and i was able to crawl under it with a light, the good news was there were NO trans mount bolts! i guess they fell out, the bad news is the motor mounts look torn:( . My wife kept telling me to just keep it under 75 and there would be no issue, yeah right. threw in a couple bolts commuted to work and presto, no vibe. Well maybe a little but WAY better than it was, way.

i had a vibe under decel, was due to loose driveshaft bolts

had another vibe that was due too loose bolts holding the accessory bracket on

that about covers all my supercoupe vibe blues

Metal corpse,,, just a side note, something i found was that the crossmember to trans bolts are the same for the auto cars and the 5 speed cars. I just went to the wrecking yard and pulled two out of a 95 auto car and they worked like a charm. Besides they were free too :) I also put a touch of thread tape on there to make sure they didnt fall out again.

theres a thing called (half critical speed) in which you take the top speed the car will go and divide it in half and you will always have a vibe or something going on at that speed. i know it sounds kinda crazy. when i had my iroc years ago there was a company called TPIS that sold a carbon fiber drive shaft for the camaros it was like 800$ but thats what they were talking about.. and that thing picked up some 7 or 8 horsepower just by going with that drive shaft. ok i found it http://www.tpis.com/parts/view/237 check it out.

Last edited:
Half critical speed, hmm,,, my 5 speed car will do 160??? awesome, i better get new tires.lol. What do they say the top speed is for the 5 spd cars? 140 or something like that? so yeah thats pretty close, had the vibe (still kinda does) at 80. Just like you flipped a switch. Securing the tranny to the car helped ALOT, courius to see what things i notice are better after i get the motor mounts fixed.

Back