MAF housing size?

91BLOWNBIRD

Was just wondering how much air flow through the maf is needed to support 3.5 intake, 85mmTB and MPx with new rotor coating?

I have a 76mm and it is probably good enough, but was just thinking about getting an 85mm to make the intake all the same size.

also, would I need to retune if I just change the housing?

thanks

I'm facing the same dilemma and I've decided to upgrade to an 85mm mass air flow. Where can I get an 85mm mass air flow for one of these cars from?

Was just wondering how much air flow through the maf is needed to support 3.5 intake, 85mmTB and MPx with new rotor coating?

I have a 76mm and it is probably good enough, but was just thinking about getting an 85mm to make the intake all the same size.

thanks

A C&L 80MM bolts-on to a 3.5 intake tube coupler. This is a good match for a 85MM intake system.

Yes, a tune is a good idea. It will probably run, but I wouldn't be doing anything close to WOT or more then a few lbs of boost.

thanks

I had an 87mm Pro M bullet MAF that was calibrated to the injectors I was using, with that same setup. I think the 85mm C&L is a tuner MAF and doesn't work with any paticular size injector without doing a custom tune. If your going to the expense of a custom tune, you might as well buy the more modern slotted MAF that can be attached directly to the intake pipe. Here is a picture that has the Pro-M calibrated MAF I'm talking about. Not sure they still make this meter.. here's a link to their website.

http://promracing.com/

attachment.php

David

Last edited:
with a mass air system the tune is in the meter

anytime you alter the airflow characteristics across the meter you effect the tune

on our supercoupes stock blower setup the maf and t/b is a restriction, thus ideally you want to reduce the restriction before the blower as much as reasonably possible

the best option whe upgrading the inlet on a supercoupe is to use a 3.75' ID inlet pipe as long and as straight as possible with an 05+ slot style sensor

the sensors with the connector can be purchased from "massair4u" on ebay for ~$20

the inlet pipe is up to you, metal pipes retain heat more than pvc and other plastics

ideally u want to keep the intake air temps as cool as possible, with the stock intercooler you will eventually heat soak thus why its ideal for folks that race their supercoupes to bypass the stock intercooler and run either water or meth (windshield washer fluid) injection

bttt, DO NOT PUT AN 85MM HOUSING ON YOUR SC WITHOUT LETTING THE ECU KNOW ABOUT IT

I agree if wanting to upgrade to that large of a MAF and getting a tune, the stock 05+ Ford slot MAF would be a great option (I'm still using one, ~450rwhp thru an AOD). I have the transfer function that calculates it due to inlet tube size and its pretty close.

Could someone please post a link to where I can buy the C&L 85mm maf? On the super coupe performance website all they have is a C&L 73mm or 76mm maf for a super coupe.

91BLOWNBIRD said:
as for the flow needed for a 3.5" intake 85mm TB and MPx coated...no one has the flow #s for that...?

need more info but a bone stock supercoupe with 3.5" inlet tb and mpx w/ 25% should be moving ~1050 kg/hr

I'm prob. gonna get a BBK 70mm TB over the Proffesional whatever 75mm lol. Whats a good match MAF? C&L 73mm , 76mm or PRO-M 75mm

Back