PDA

View Full Version : TRW vs Motorcraft control arms

CaifanSC
11-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Any difference between the quality of the two? I know TRW was the OEM manufacturer for control arms but I'm wondering if this has changed.

Price-wise they're about the same plus/minus about 10 bux. I'm basing the price on prices from rock auto and SCP (i'm assuming that they carry TRW pieces).

90sc35thann
11-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Any difference between the quality of the two? I know TRW was the OEM manufacturer for control arms but I'm wondering if this has changed.

Price-wise they're about the same plus/minus about 10 bux. I'm basing the price on prices from rock auto and SCP (i'm assuming that they carry TRW pieces).

Are you referring to the upper, lower or both?

CaifanSC
11-05-2012, 02:55 PM
I'd say uppers.

I've tried looking for the motorcraft equivalent of lower arms but cant seem to find it on the ford/motorcraft website. It's only listed as a ford dealer part (at the tune of +$200 USD). Someone correct me if I'm wrong and hopefully provide a part number I can search with.

RalphP
11-05-2012, 04:02 PM
I'd say uppers.

I've tried looking for the motorcraft equivalent of lower arms but cant seem to find it on the ford/motorcraft website. It's only listed as a ford dealer part (at the tune of +$200 USD). Someone correct me if I'm wrong and hopefully provide a part number I can search with.

On uppers, the Raybestos Professional Grade appear to be the same arms as the Spicer Pro - big beefy ball joint that's designed to be able to be pressed out and replaced.

On the lower arms - you may not be able find SC-identical units. Seems like everyone sells the same LCA for everything from a 1989 3.8NA through the 3.8SC, the 5.0HO, all the way to a 1997 4.6L.

Just be aware also that the Moog "R" series are the cheap ones.

RwP