PDA

View Full Version : New engine wont start...

tbirdp8nter
11-09-2012, 10:16 PM
We replaced everything on an 89 sc.... Wants to start but acts like a timing problem... any suggestions????

gr8ghost
11-09-2012, 11:13 PM
More info. Check spark, Check fuel. Check timing.

tbirdp8nter
11-10-2012, 08:36 AM
We have fuel and spark... will throw a timing light on it... Kinda hard to check timing with the bhj balancer...

sics6
11-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Did u check cam sensor, or crank sensor?

Mike8675309
11-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Did you properly align the cam sensor stalk when you installed the cam sensor drive? Balancer is keyed to the crank so it can't move. The sensor vane is bolted to the back of the balancer. This fixes ignition timing so there isn't much to check with a timing light.

did you set the gap for the crank sensor properly? Too far away and you could get issues with misfires.

Grounds: If you paint your block you must be careful to leave a bare spot for the grounds. Most paint will insulate any ground wires leading to possible unexpected issues related to poor quality grounds.

The cam sensor stalk must be installed in a very specific orientation. To check if your issue is a cam sensor or it's alignment you can disconnect the sensor. The motor may take several tries to start, but when it starts it should run as well as ever. This thread has good tips on getting the sensor oriented properly. note the crankshaft position is critical. Incorrect positioning of the stalk can lead to issues with engine operation. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83849&highlight=stab+sensor

If you find you need to fix wiring, or re-align the cam sensor, swap out the plugs as well. More than likely from your attempts to start they are now fuel fouled and will make diagnosis difficult.

p.s. Since you have the BHJ, it is likely you don't have a mark on the balancer for 26degrees After Top Dead Center. You'll need to make one as it the motor must be at 26 ATDC for you to align the cam sensor stalk. This web page shows how to install the BHJ along with how to get your 26ADTC marks. http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12how-to/BHJ/BHJ-install.html

tbirdp8nter
11-11-2012, 12:54 AM
putting on a new coil pak tomorrow and checking the crank sensor... cam position is spot on...

tbirdp8nter
02-03-2013, 12:14 AM
ok, have spark and obviously getting fuel as i can smell it strongly at the exaughst. Still will not start.. acts like timing issue still... Not sure what to do other that put the motor back in the crate it came in and tell them we are too stupid to start it!!! Any ideas? Thanks in advance and yes I have searched the threads...

90sc35thann
02-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Is the firing order correct? Many manuals for our cars has it listed incorrectly.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68255

tbirdp8nter
02-03-2013, 01:53 PM
90sc35thann, That was the exact problem!!! Haynes manual really needs to be burned!!!! You have made our day for sure!!!!!!! Thank you very much for the help and info!!! To every one here thank you for the advise!!!

gr8ghost
02-03-2013, 03:10 PM
It's been like that since November and you just fixed it today? I bet you are one happy camper.

90sc35thann
02-03-2013, 03:56 PM
90sc35thann, That was the exact problem!!! Haynes manual really needs to be burned!!!! You have made our day for sure!!!!!!! Thank you very much for the help and info!!! To every one here thank you for the advise!!!

It's a great user community here. Glad I could help. Enjoy your sc!

tbirdp8nter
02-03-2013, 08:21 PM
gr8tghost, Yeah, time is a big factor.. It is actually a buddies car and I just help.. I own a party store and also work at Duncan Aviation here in battle creek so my time is really limited!!! There were two guys grinning from ear to ear when that fired up... junk Haynes manual!!!!