8.8" irs, iron vs aluminium

SEDUCE

Hey guys i am wanting to know if any one here can tell me if the Iron Housing or Aluminium Housing is stronger in the 8.8" IRS diff.
I am looking at putting one in my drag car (RX7) with a aluminium cobra cover but not sure what one is stronger or will be stronger with the Aluminium cover.
I am not worried about the insides as i am going to run a full spool.

If anyone has a iron housing please let me know i am trying to find one.
thanks guys.

The cast housings are stronger well because they are cast. They both use aluminum covers from the factory and several aftermarket performance covers are available (Any aftermarket Cobra cover works)

If anyone has a iron housing please let me know i am trying to find one.
thanks guys.

Be nice to know at least which dimension inside the multiverse you could be found in :D:D

At least, it'd help in knowing approximately how much shipping would be.

RwP

replied to your PM.

Have one out and ready to box and ship.
Where are you located?

$50 plus shipping

replied to your PM.

Have one out and ready to box and ship.
Where are you located?

$50 plus shipping

Thanks Mate got the pm will do the paypal transfer tomorrow.
I am in Australia but i am buying a kit from a member in NY and he is going to put the iron diff with the cradle and send it all to me.
Thanks guys hopefully this holds up to it.

The cast housings are stronger well because they are cast. They both use aluminum covers from the factory and several aftermarket performance covers are available (Any aftermarket Cobra cover works)

All supercharged Mustangs have the aluminum housing. If they can handle a supercharged 5.4L DOHC, they can handle what we have.

All supercharged Mustangs have the aluminum housing. If they can handle a supercharged 5.4L DOHC, they can handle what we have.

Mister flex, no "cobra" especially the 03-04 ones your showing came with DOHC 5.4 sc engines. Gt500's did, and those had solid rear ends. Also saying its good enough for a stang, doesnt mean its good enough for a turdbird. Lighter car means less strain on the drive train. Theres been some SC guys to break the ears off the alum center sections, could be owner error, just saying.

So thats the reason for my 2 No's;) only 2 years of supercharged stangs had aluminum IRS

Mind fart on the 5.4. I was thinking 4.6.

I never said the iron housing wasn't stronger. I said that the majority of these cars don't have the power for it to be a worry. Some people can find a way to wreck a tank.

The 2004 cobra weighed 3665 lb while the 89-93 sc is listed as 3770. 105 lbs is not a significant difference or enough to cause any added strain to the Driveline. They do pound way more torque into the rear end than most of us are capable off.

The cobra R used an aluminium housing also. That's where I got the one in my blue car. I have never seen a broken case myself thought with worn parts I can understand why they could break. With the braces on mine from SCP
I am not worried about breaking mine with the 6 speed, 4k launches and 500+hp.

Last edited:
Back