Oil cooler line

scskydivin

SCCoA Member
My original cooler line sprung a leak at one of the rubber hoses 7 years ago. I took the line off the car and took it all over town looking for a replacement. No one knew what to do short of going to the junk yard. So, I tossed the metal line, bought a couple feet of heater hose, clamped it at both ends and called it a day. Now that hose is leaking at the water pump that I installed yesterday. I know that I could just cut a couple inches off of that hose and stick a new clamp on it, but I'd like to put the original line back on.

I got a line from a super cougar at the junk yard last month. I don't want to just stick it on the car without replacing the rubber hose part. I also don't want to screw it up. What do I do to cut off the crimp on both ends of the metal line? How difficult is this and do I need anything special? I want to replace the worn rubber hose with new ones at both ends.

Last edited:
Those factory crimp clamps are just aluminum and cut easily. I had to cut some on my 96 Cougar.

A cut off wheel works great but a hand saw will get it done too.

Ok, Got the hack saw out & set the metal cooler line on the work bench in the garage. Started hackin away, The stock rubber hose looked thick enough that I wasn't worried too much about cutting through to the metal itself. It didn't take but 5 min of cutting through the aluminum crimp until I reached the rubber hose. After the aluminum was cut all the way through, I pried the crimp off with a large flat head screwdriver. It was easy to bend. Then the old hose came off of the metal tube just like any other one would.

Attachments

• P1050685.JPG
    P1050685.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 67
  • P1050686.JPG
    P1050686.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 65
  • P1050689.JPG
    P1050689.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 59
  • P1050691.JPG
    P1050691.JPG