Temp gauge hitting "HOT" mark

derekhay316

K i just put in a new harmonic balancer, crank shaft sensor, dis, thermostat, and new water pump and now when I run the car the fan does not turn on automatically (turned it on manually) and the temp guage is pointing towards the 'hot' mark and not coming down. I checked under the hood and it isn't too hot under there, no steam, and no ticking sounds when I shut it off. What could be the problem? Maybe air in the coolant near the thermostat where the temp is read? Should I get a coolant flush? Also is it bad if I run the car?

Also what happend the other day is, I started the car and drove about 10 km's and the temp gauge read norm the hole time. I stoped to get gas for 2 mins and I started it up again and the temp gauge went all the way to hot right away. How could this be? I think its air bubbles. What about you guys. Thanks in advance.

sorry i dont have any adivice on your problems, but i would not run the car if it does heat up that much you run the risk of blowing your head gaskets and much more problems

No but I think its just air bubbles at the thermostat that are making the temp gauge read so hot. So how would that blow the head gaskets? I touched the engine block and its not hotter than usual. Same with rad. Not that hot. NO STEAM.

When you changed the water pump/thermostat did you also change the coolant,check the hoses[esp. the spring in the lower hose],open the "air escape tube " to allow the trapped air to escape as you replaced the lost coolant.Have you checked to make sure there's no oil in your coolant or vice/versa?Are you getting heat from the heater?.....It's possble that there is air trapped in the system.....hopefully that's all it is,just don't let that engine overheat...also check to make sure that the coolent sensor isn't loose,it's easy to dislodge the sensor when you're working around the thermostat.Good luck....
z

Yup I checked all the hoses and opened the air escape tube. I'm getting heat from the heater. Where's the coolant sensor? Also how would I make sure it doesn't overheat?

Sensor issues most likely. Certainly if you are not seeing signs of over heating and the needle is at HOT. All the way to hot is really...really hot and you should smell it.

Check for bad wires at the sensors There are two. One for the guages, another for the computer.

Here is a picture with the two sensors circled and the bleed screw.

tempsensors.jpg

If you find it not to be a sensor issue, try pulling the thermostat and throw it into some boiling water on the stove. See if it does open, maybe it is sticking? Even though its new, I have seen them bad out of the box (yea it sucks!). Think about how many things you get from places that dont work brand new!

All Good Advice...

The most obvious scenario would be that you have some trapped air as you already thought possible...And also disturbing the small wires that mike has already pointed out to you.

To add to that I would say that id your wires are good and you still have an issue, then you may want to try this...

Put the nose of your car up and use your bleed pipe...This worked for me...Also I found that I had to do this several times before I got the results I wanted...Now I have NO issues at all...And that was after a simple T-Stat change...I had the rad cap off with a hose feeding it water and the bleed pipe/valve cracked and the nose WAY up in the air on ramps...Sounds silly I guess, but it worked...

Good luck

Cheers

i know it sounds stupid, but did u ever change your radiator cap mine did this also changed the thermostat no fix, then replaced the cap from advice from my uncle. But any way then the head gaskets blew the couple weeks and the radiator sprung a leak which is also a problem. Check for coolant leaks maybe need a new radiator just a few suggestions hope it helps.

K now i've been driving it for a week and it all seems normal. The temp gauge only reads around the N in 'NORM'. Is it bad for the car if I'm always running it with the needle at about the 1/4 mark???

Back