Intercooler fan

scskydivin

SCCoA Member
I purchased a Permacool IC fan from a member here. It has 2 wires, 1 red & 1 black. I've tested it on my car's battery and it works well. I've found that if i switch the wires, the motor will run in reverse. My question is, how do I wire this thing up? The only directions that I've found were for the 4 wire kit with a relay from Spinning Wheels and the instructions across the river at TCCoA. I'm looking for instructions on the 2 wire set up. What have you guys done? I'd like to just hook up the 2 wires somewhere & be done with it.

relay

One wire to chassis ground, other could go to the switched side of the ignition switch. Also could possibly tap into the ecm relay in the under hood distribution box. Sorry I don't have wire colors. Anybody else? Search the forums, this has been discussed before.
Good luck,
JJ

I searched for a couple nights, I got tired and decided to just ask. Thx for the info. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for any advice that pops up. Eyeing an install in the next couple weeks.

I put one on my car a few weeks ago. The previous owner of my car had the radiator fan running off a switch inside the car.

I took the power wire that he had coming out from the switch to the fan and wired it in as a trigger wire for a relay and have the relay running both the radiator fan and my intercooler fan. The relay is pulling power straight from the battery.

One thing I have learned about anything that draws alot of power such as fog lights or a fan is to always run them off a relay. If not you run the risk of burning up a switch because they can get really hot. Also running a relay lets what ever you are running get the full power it needs instead of loosing some voltage through the switch.

I would check the numbers on the relay you use. All of the relays I have used have number 85 as the ground and 86 as the power out to the accessory.

This is from the package for my relays..

-30 = constant [positive (+)] power (usually wired directly to car battery or switched 12v source)

-85 = coil ground (wired to the negative (-) battery terminal or any grounded metal panel in the car)

-86 = coil power (wired to the control source. could be a switch, or it could be the car's IGN or ACC circuit.)

-87 = switched [positive (+)] power output. (when the relay coil is powered, lead/pin 87 is connected to lead/pin 30)

-87a = [on 5 lead/pin relays only] this lead/pin is connected to lead/pin 30 when the coil is NOT powered

Back