Tuning with QH BE

superdadsc

I recently bought a 89SC 5spd.. I bought it for the engine and drivetrain. I was looking at Kyle's 95 but the money's didn't get freed up so I bought this 89.

The story behind it as I have been told was a couple Jet mechanics in the military stationed in SC built this. The first guy tore the motor down and had a local speed shop rebuild the short block, ported the heads,manifolds,blower(new 94/95),plenum,cutom raised top,custom FMIC and mild cam etc. Couldn't finish the project, spent thousands on custom stuff and ran out of money. His friend bought it finished putting it together and lost intrest. I think he was disappointed with the power but he never got it tuned!:eek:

The car has 5% JS pulley, 5% SC pulley, 255 fuel pump,36 lbs injectors, duel 2.5 exhaust all the way and a canned tune QH from DD.

The first thing that I have done is I bought some 57lbs injectors from Ricardo.Thanks.

Now I need to get a tune. I live in GA. I have been speaking with Mike Puckett(great guy) and he told me about Higgins performance. I called them and they use SCT and didn't seem to know what I was talking about. He said they would sell me a chip and tune it. Well I have QH:rolleyes:.

What do I need to do to tune this properly. The car is running pig rich and can tell with a proper tune will be a lot of fun. Do I just bring it to a dyno,have a tuner hook up his laptop and tune it? I have no clue what to do or what to ask for. My 95 used SCT chip so it was different.

There is also a hesitation at low RPM. He thought it might be a ignition issue but it feels like a fuel issue.

Any ideas?

Stephen

Attachments

• 3G13Mc3H45F55H45Jecab2427ac0315a110aa.jpg
    3G13Mc3H45F55H45Jecab2427ac0315a110aa.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 105
i have QH and i have no idea how to tune and i am having crt performance tune my car and i am getting a book from lasota racing.com and its 80.00 and teachs u from start to finsh in tuneing with QH. if u dont have binary editor u need to get it. and call more performance shops to tune it if u dont have time to learn right now.:cool:

Binary Editor is a software product you use on a windows computer and is used to communicate with the Quarterhorse, edit tunes, and log the data from the Quarterhorse.

The Quarterhorse doesn't come with Binary Editor, though the QH and binary editor are sometimes sold as a package.

The guide from lasota racing is supposed to be useful, though I haven't seen it.

one of our affiliate shops is in dallas, ga
don't know how far that is from you but if your interested just LMK

one of our affiliate shops is in dallas, ga
don't know how far that is from you but if your interested just LMK

Got one for your Yankee Cajuns (Shreveport/Bossier area)? :D

Is that Dallas, Georgia or a typo on Dallas, TX?

RwP

Ralph, there is a Dallas GA, if memory serves its off of 20 between ATL-AL. Also a Houston GA.

Got one for your Yankee Cajuns (Shreveport/Bossier area)? :D

Is that Dallas, Georgia or a typo on Dallas, TX?

RwP

thats too ironic, i drove through shreveport this past saturday on my way to dallas, tx (well actually ft hood)

yes dallas, ga, the name of the shop is mo's speed shop

oh btw, we got an affiliate shop in jackson, ms, i just made that drive this past saturday and it wasn't bad, hell of a lot better than driving down to new orleans

stephen, i'll give you a shout in a bit, if not tonight then tomorrow

well crap i was gonna call an hour ago but figured it was too late

if your still up give me a shout

five oh four six zero six nothing five tre deuce

oh btw, we got an affiliate shop in jackson, ms, i just made that drive this past saturday and it wasn't bad, hell of a lot better than driving down to new orleans

stephen, i'll give you a shout in a bit, if not tonight then tomorrow

Yah, Jackson MS is actually about the same difference, but it's I-20 the whole way. Only real slow down is through Monroe/West Monroe, until I hit Mississippi.

I may have to give you a shout later - it's in my plans, but I have to get basic functionality right first (have a bad exhaust leak at the down pipe, passenger side - need to fix that FIRST to get the O2s reading the actual exhaust stream).

RwP

Back