changing from 28 spline to 31. HOW??

SEDUCE

Hey guys i have just got a iron housing 8.8" IRS diff for my project but i am chasing a full spool for it and Jegs said they only have 31 spline spools
so my question is how hard is it to change (from 28 spline standard iron IRS diff)and can it be done?
Is it just a straight bolt in or do you have to change other stuff like bearings etc?

Any info would be great.

Yeah if you just worried about the spool fitting the t bird case, it works just fine. I have one in my car.:) All the bearings are the same. There is nothing for the clips to lock into so the axles move in and out of the spool freely. I didn't have any problems with it like that that I know of. I did just break a ring gear, but haven't torn it down yet to see what happened. I was running it for 3 years at low 11's high 10's.
spool1.jpg

Dss can make you axle shafts and have the inner CV joints for 31 and 28 or 33 spline for the outer joint. (if you go 33 spline for the outer joint you will need more parts from DSS)

Their CV joints are pretty stout, but are not cheap.

Cobra axles are slightly different length but the difference can be in how you setup the CV joint if you get stock replacements. If you get DSS parts, then DSS has the measurements for the SC and Cobra axles as they sell both and should be able to hook you up. Again, it won't be cheap.

Yeah if you just worried about the spool fitting the t bird case, it works just fine. I have one in my car.:) All the bearings are the same. There is nothing for the clips to lock into so the axles move in and out of the spool freely. I didn't have any problems with it like that that I know of. I did just break a ring gear, but haven't torn it down yet to see what happened. I was running it for 3 years at low 11's high 10's.
spool1.jpg

Thanks for that Blown38,
What brand of spool did you use and did u go the 31 spline?

Mike8675309, yes I know how much they are and quite happy to pay that as it is a drag only car and not skimping on that at all.
The car is making 700hp on run in tune and hope to see upwards of 900 on full tune.

Its a Motive spool. And as far as I know you can't get a spool in 28 spline. You can get mini spools 28 spline.

I have the full DSS setup. 31 inner, 33 outer.

Its a Motive spool. And as far as I know you can't get a spool in 28 spline. You can get mini spools 28 spline.

I have the full DSS setup. 31 inner, 33 outer.

Sweet thanks mate
Yeah I am going full spool so will have to change to 31 spline then
Just hope it's as easy as bolting straight in then changing the cv's to suit it.

Thanks for that Blown38,
What brand of spool did you use and did u go the 31 spline?

Mike8675309, yes I know how much they are and quite happy to pay that as it is a drag only car and not skimping on that at all.
The car is making 700hp on run in tune and hope to see upwards of 900 on full tune.

At that power level you might want to upgrade the cover to one of these.

http://www.lpwracing.com/Ultra_IRS/Ultra_IRS.html

David

Dss can make you axle shafts and have the inner CV joints for 31 and 28 or 33 spline for the outer joint. (if you go 33 spline for the outer joint you will need more parts from DSS)

Their CV joints are pretty stout, but are not cheap.

Cobra axles are slightly different length but the difference can be in how you setup the CV joint if you get stock replacements. If you get DSS parts, then DSS has the measurements for the SC and Cobra axles as they sell both and should be able to hook you up. Again, it won't be cheap.

Lol.

"Did I mention that it wouldn't be cheap?"

Back