Super Charger Gasket

1qwik99

I just completed the valve cover gasket replacement. When I removed the S/C hat I noticed there was no gasket under it, just metal on metal. I looked in the manual and it doesn't specify a particular gasket but some kind of glue or something. I ordered a gasket on-line. Should there be a teflon gasket there?

Thanks

I just completed the valve cover gasket replacement. When I removed the S/C hat I noticed there was no gasket under it, just metal on metal. I looked in the manual and it doesn't specify a particular gasket but some kind of glue or something. I ordered a gasket on-line. Should there be a teflon gasket there?

Thanks

Most just use Black or Red High Temp RTV sold at most parts stores to seal the intercooler piping.

-Tim

Thanks, that sounds a bit messy, and since I already ordered the teflon gasket, I'll just use that.

Thanks, that sounds a bit messy, and since I already ordered the teflon gasket, I'll just use that.

Teflon gasket isn't going to seal as good as the RTV without tightening the crap out of those 4 bolts that hold it on, and they strip out real easy.

David

Dave,

Let me ask you this: There is nothing in there now and I didn't notice any difference in performance or idle quality. What exactly should I notice if there is no gasket at all? I torqued the bolts 24Nm as in the manual.

Thanks, Rick

Dave,

Let me ask you this: There is nothing in there now and I didn't notice any difference in performance or idle quality. What exactly should I notice if there is no gasket at all? I torqued the bolts 24Nm as in the manual.

Thanks, Rick

There is a thin coating of glue on there from factory...should look yellowing if you sand down the surface it will show its face.

-Tim

Dave,

Thanks, Rick

You will have a small vacuum and boost leak if you don't seal it with something.

BTW, I don't know what 24NM equates to in ft lbs, but it doesn't take more than about 15ft lbs to seal the top when using a thin coat of RTV and this blower top was not designed to be sealed with a teflon compression style gasket. To make it seal half as good as RTV or anerobic sealer (glue) you will have to apply way more torque than the repair manual states. I'd smear some pankake syrup on there before using a teflon gasket.

David

I was looking at both SC suppliers websites and they both carry the SC top gasket along with some other gaskets. I wonder why they would have them if they are not up to snuff for our cars?

Loctite 518 or Permatex 51813 Anaerobic Gasket Maker is the correct product to use.

What david said. Copper RTV looks cooler. :D Don't know if its cheaper. On the other hand, since I have 3 SCs to maintain, I use the less cool looking Black silicon RTV to seal the IC tubes and top. Never had a problem with leaks or durability. :cool: As for tightness.. I go no tighter than what I would be able to achieve with a screwdriver.

Last edited:
I was looking at both SC suppliers websites and they both carry the SC top gasket along with some other gaskets. I wonder why they would have them if they are not up to snuff for our cars?

Teflon is not a good gasket material on flat surfaces. It doesnt compress like a rubber or cork gasket. I have used it on the tubes before and it work well for there but you can get a lot more clamping force there. The sealers everyone is recommending are the way to go on the top. And the threads are easy to strip out if your not careful like David said

Ken

Back