Something to keep an eye on in the EEC ...

S_Mazza

Hi all. I just came across some EEC-IV information on another board, and I thought it might be something we should keep in mind. Apparently, some years of EEC-IVs are suffering from leaky capacitors that are causing intermittent drivability problems, and in the worst case, possibly permanent EEC damage. I haven't heard of many failures in Thunderbirds ... maybe the caps in our EECs are a little better quality. (But we all know that the caps in the radios weren't good!) So I am just putting this information out there.

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,15654.0.html

I know that I will check these capacitors the next time I have the EEC out for any reason.

Yes.. Caps are usually oversized so some small amount of aging will not cause a complete failure. However one of my spares had a leak/broken lead. That EEC was having issues with temperature control.. that is it didn't know when to turn on the cooling fan. I don't think thats the whole of that related problem, but I can say that I have seen the electronic problem.

From my experience overheating from a late cooling fan is a EEC problem.. not the ECT sensor.

usually the caps that fail are for the hegos and you get crap fuel economy

ive only ever seen this on the foxbody mustang ecus, the 94+ ecus do not have these issues, its possible the 89-90 supercoupe ecus could eventually have a leaking cap as they share the same hardware as the foxbody

There has been a couple documented EEC failures in the past two years but I do not believe anybody went as far as to review the circuit board.

usually the caps that fail are for the hegos and you get crap fuel economy

ive only ever seen this on the foxbody mustang ecus, the 94+ ecus do not have these issues, its possible the 89-90 supercoupe ecus could eventually have a leaking cap as they share the same hardware as the foxbody

Interesting. I know there is at least 1 electrolytic cap on the 94+ ECU. Maybe it is in a different circuit and not stressed as much?

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115469&highlight=chip+bend

TbirdSCFan said:
Yes.. Caps are usually oversized so some small amount of aging will not cause a complete failure. However one of my spares had a leak/broken lead. That EEC was having issues with temperature control.. that is it didn't know when to turn on the cooling fan. I don't think thats the whole of that related problem, but I can say that I have seen the electronic problem.

From my experience overheating from a late cooling fan is a EEC problem.. not the ECT sensor.

Thanks for the additional info. I will watch out for that.

Back