A question about our ancient ABS.

EvilMooseofDoom

Howdy again.

Concerning ABS: I will eventually get my '92 heap back on the road, however, being that it is equipped with ye' olde' MKII ABS, I am curious about whether or not I need to retain it.

I wouldn't mind keeping the system in place, however, I am on a 'simplicity in maintenance' crusade here of late, as I'm growing weary of perpetual glitches and faults in half-assed electrical equipment, as provided by the original manufacturer, the purveyors of "that's good enough" engineering.

I can drive with it, I can drive without it, although I might autocross the car someday, and if the system works good for autocrossing, I'd be inclined to keep it.

If it's too primitive of a system to be able to handle this sort of driving, then before I get too carried away, I'd like to sh!tcan the system, especially while I'm in the 'rebuild' phase, and have the motor out of the car.

It's been a couple of years since I've been able to drive the car, so I have no memorable first-hand accounts of how it behaves under 'stupid' driving; I do recall, however, that while it worked okay, it never seemed anywhere near as seamless or smooth as lets say, a modern Vette, BMW, or anything else that might be associated with 'somewhat-seamless operation'.

In addition, given the age of the car, while I know that a few parts are still out there, the car is now 20 years old, and I'd really not want to have to replace the entire ABS unit should it take a dump.

Anyway, since I'm inclined to ramble...any suggestions?

Keep the ABS, gamble on it working okay for the next 10-20 years (can't get rid of the car, sentimental reasons, and I really like the way it drives, can't understand why idiots sell these things for either musclecars or newer cars), or get rid of the ABS once and for all?

Thank you for any replies,
Larry,
resident jerk.

Cant give you a decision, but I can give you some guidance. I have the Teves II and keep them maintained. They work well for ME. They held up just fine after couple days of road course work. I also might add.. brake feel on the course was very good which is one reason I stick with it. I know the thing backwards and forwards, so when something breaks, I know immediately what to fix. I keep spare parts around.

Others however, have swapped out theirs for a vacuum setup. They seem to prefer it. For me, its too much work to do.

Cant give you a decision, but I can give you some guidance. I have the Teves II and keep them maintained. They work well for ME. They held up just fine after couple days of road course work. I also might add.. brake feel on the course was very good which is one reason I stick with it. I know the thing backwards and forwards, so when something breaks, I know immediately what to fix. I keep spare parts around.

Others however, have swapped out theirs for a vacuum setup. They seem to prefer it. For me, its too much work to do.

I don't mind sticking with the setup. My worry is that it really hasn't been maintained in the 13 (God, has it been that long now???) years it's been in the family, and that I've got an expensive bill waiting for me somewhere down the road.

The other thing that worries me is the knowledge curve you bring up: If I don't screw around with something for several months, I quite literally forget about it. I can't tell you the amount of things I've forgotten how to do with these cars...knowledge that was fresh (if I can recall correctly, lol) not too long ago, as to what mod to do where...

Another issue will be parts availability. How are we doing on replacement parts, such as wheel sensors and such?

Back