FoMoCo DIS Module

AlanS

Does anyone have any advice on where to procure a 'factory' DIS module, for a 1989 TBird SC? My original DIS failed. I replaced it with an aftermarket...which failed within 500 miles.

My mechanic is trying to locate a FoMoCo DIS for me, but is not having much luck. He's being told they're discontinued, and no one has stock. The alternative that's being suggested to him (by Ford) is a 'Standard' (I think that's the maker).

I know a number of you have been down this same road ahead of me, so any advice/information is very welcome.

Thanks,
Alan

you can probably find a good used one around here somewhere...

Rockauto sells the Standard products version

My guess is the aftermarket module failed because they forgot to put heat sink compound between the DIS module and the bracket. I had an aftermarket unit last for years. I have about half dozen Ford modules if you need one.

Alas. There was heat-sink compound applied. The aftermarket module came with a small tube of the stuff. The old module was removed, the mounting surface cleaned, the heat-sink compound applied and the new module installed. I did the work.

Owing to the fact I'm now replacing things I've previously replaced in this regard, i.e.. the DIS module, I decided to take it to my mechanic and get the benefit of his expertise such that the next time it's repaired, hopefully it will 'stay fixed'. He provides several months' warranty on parts/labor (the current DIS failed within a month).

Obviously, an aftermarket DIS can last many years, based on rzimmerl's reply. Advice in a number of other posts, which I read while researching the car after I purchased it two months ago, lead me to believe I should try to obtain genuine Ford ignition parts for reliability's sake. My experience with the aftermarket part wasn't good. (It was purchased from autopartswarehouse.com, so whatever brand they carry). With all that said, it appears we'll be using an aftermarket, Standard part, i.e., SMP Corp., in any case. Even if I wanted to use a new Ford part, such doesn't appear to be available.

Thanks everyone for your insights, and advice. rzimmerl, thanks especially for your generous offer. I'm not going to impose, I'll buy a module locally...but I truly appreciate your offer...

Alan

The aftermarket one I got had a lifetime warranty, have had it replaced once but I don't use the provide grease. Use Arctic Silver heatsink compound.

Also Standard probably made the FoMoCo ones originally so I wouldn't be concerned.

dis

I have also had many problems with aftermarket modules. I now have a stockpile of OEM used, whenever I find one in the junk yard I scoop it up.
JJ

I'm not sure why but 89-90 and 91-93 have different part numbers.

Something to keep in mind.

ive used the autozone dis modules and never had a problem with them

they even come with a tube of compound

The ICM and DIS are different things... I was actually sent an ICM by another supplier initially...and had to send it back.

Alan

I am doing well with a DIS module from Standard Motor Products ... I bought it a few years ago. No problems. I did use the heat sink compound. Also, it might be worth checking that the screws are making good metal-to-metal contact. I think at least one functions as a ground. High resistance there might present a problem.

So is the part number on top either of E9DF12A297BA or E9DZ12A297B ? If so, RockAuto has'em as Standard Motor Products #LX231 .

I cheated - I searched for part number *12A297* and pulled up several possibilities - one that has possible part #s and look right. Leastwise, IIRC, E9DX is a 1989 part for a Thunderbird ... the "A" and "B" are probably different versions subbed by the one SMP part.

RwP

So is the part number on top either of E9DF12A297BA or E9DZ12A297B ? If so, RockAuto has'em as Standard Motor Products #LX231 .

I cheated - I searched for part number *12A297* and pulled up several possibilities - one that has possible part #s and look right. Leastwise, IIRC, E9DX is a 1989 part for a Thunderbird ... the "A" and "B" are probably different versions subbed by the one SMP part.

RwP

I could be wrong, but I think that part fits all the 6-cylinder DIS applications for those years. That would include the Thunderbird SC, the Taurus SHO, some Mustangs ... and that might be all. The E9D* indicates it's for a 1989 Taurus. The ***F in the first part number indicates it's an engine accessory, but the ***Z in the second number indicates that it's a service part. (I think a lot of parts moved to a ***Z when they went into the Motorcraft catalog.)

Some great help offered. Thanks!

I stopped by the shop today (my TBird's been there a little over a week). The mechanic located a NOS FoMoCo DIS 'back East' (we're in Cali, so that could be almost anywhere). It's on its way.

We chatted a little, and he said SMP (Standard) didn't produce the FoMoCo part. Standard would have been our fallback position, though. In the future, if I have to replace this again, I suspect that will be the approach, i.e., to purchase an SMP part. The Ford DIS seem to be rare enough, I wouldn't doubt the stock of NOS will be exhausted one of these days in the not-too-distant future.

One thing the mechanic said: Coil resistance is critical with regard to the DIS. He's going to double-check my coils as he said this could have been an issue with the DIS I replaced failing so quickly, i.e., if the coil resistance is out of tolerance it can create a high-heat condition in the DIS, causing it to fail prematurely. (I had the coils replaced as one of the first items when I got the car...along with plugs, plug-wires...but who knows? Might as well check everything, and not assume too much. I don't really want to replace this DIS again for a while. Two in two months is plenty).

Alan

Back