Its that time again!..RIM QUESTIONS!!!

XxSlowpokexX

What is the largest rear tire someone has run on what offset rim (17-19"). My rear wells are rolled. Also I dont want to be relying on airbags to not rub I might add. If its a custom offset thats cool too. May buy myself an early xmass present

Thanks!

315 35 17 sumitomos prolly about the same as a 305. On a 10" rim 99 cobra widened 2" with a .250" spacer to clear the shock tower and sway bar. Rolled lip and lowered. Looking for a pic.

Chris I remember that setup. Im still tempted to widen those 99 cobra rims I have and keep them relatively stock looking. But thinking maybe a custom ccw setup or something sim would be cool. I still love the look of those rims

My CCW's are 10" wide also. No spacers. Hang out towards the edge tho. I think the barrels could be moved and inch in on the outside and half inch in on the inside. Then you wouldn't need a spacer and get 9.5 inch wheel. The thing that sucks about 17's is you cant get anything taller than 26" tall tire. My drag tires are 28" tall.

rear1.jpg

DSCN1035.jpg

7.jpg

DSC07095.jpg

I dont mind Rim jobs. Its just that, you start these and it does a 360 back to the same 17" cobra wheels.

Or some mustang wheels you picked up cheap locally for 300bux with tires.

This is all after realizing that a pimp set of wheels and tires is half the cost of what you paid for the car initially.

Im I wrong this time around?

My 19x10" at +40 tucked pretty nicely. I had 275/35 Goodyears on them, a 285 wouldn't have been a problem. Was about half an inch away from the stabilizer bar.

cheers
Ed

20 x 10.5 at +45. The rim touches the shock towers when fully squatted, so I installed a 3/16 spacer. 285 30's pretty stretched out. Tucks good.

Lets see,

My Mustang runs, surprisingly well with the stock 95 computer with no tune
My Teal SC runs..Runs better than most sc's as far as I know
My KIA Runs...just runs

Thats three cars!...And considering Im down to only 5 cars now... Thats pretty good!

As far as rims. Every year people try different things. So I ask. As far as my current shoes...I bought these used because...

1) They were 18*10 and 18*9 with an 05 up stang offset. Fit great with no rubbing whatsoever.
2) A steal at $400 with only 1000 or so miles on them.

Now ultimately I'd like to fit larger than a 285 out back. Perhaps I can get a 305 on the rims I currently have. Its just that they arent exactly my thing.

And yes I love the look of the 99 cobra rims on my car..Shoot me. I may go that route. Also if I cant fit a 305/315 with an available aftermarket mustang offset perhaps Ill go custom. Im at the point where I need a larger tire and will spend the money on a custom rim if I need to. Maybe I just buy a set of 305's 18" and hope they clear with my current rims..If not...Ill be forced to buy new! In reality Id love to give my car to a rim manufacturer and say, "Fit what ya can".

But like I said. Every year someone has a different rim/offset setup..So why not ask once a year? We should actually have a sticky on this subject..Or at least a data area where we can store info...

20 x 10.5 at +45. The rim touches the shock towers when fully squatted, so I installed a 3/16 spacer. 285 30's pretty stretched out. Tucks good.

Thats a huge rim! I dont think I want to go 20's. Not here in NY. Are your fenders rolled in the rear? Think a larger tire could be installed width wise?

285 is what I have. That's about the max unless you prevent full travel of the suspension. Its so tight for me that I rub inside one one side at the shock tower, and outside on my rolled 1/4 panel on the other side. My irs is slightly bias from factory, I have said it before. You need to step down on the gears and not tires, all things mentioned before but who is counting. Minitub if you want 305 or put a limiter on the suspension. My diameter is closer to 27" Micah is probably closer to 25" you will have a little more success going smaller diameter. But then again 99 cobra wheels are the t its.

If a person was ready to pull the trigger they would be past the preliminary stages of what tires fit? question. Everyone knows here that 285 is about the max on a near stock set up. 275 is good 265 gets you out of trouble in the rub dept and 255 is safe as can be.

Blah blah different manufacturers are wider then others. But whats the point on knowing this info? Do you really want a 295 tire thats measures like a 285 just to say you can fit a 295?

Last edited:
I have the same

285 is what I have. That's about the max unless you prevent full travel of the suspension. Its so tight for me that I rub inside one one side at the shock tower, and outside on my rolled 1/4 panel on the other side. My irs is slightly bias from factory. But I have said it before. You need to step down on the gears and not tires. Things mentioned before but who is counting. Minitub if you want 305 or put a limiter on the suspension. My diameter is closer to 27" Micah is probably closer to 25" you will have a little more success going smaller diameter. But then again 99 cobra wheels are the t its.

I TOOK A HARD DISC GRINDER AND GROUND ABOUT A 1/2 OFF THE INSIDE EDGES ONLY:) ON DEEP DIPS DO THEY RUB :eek:ALSO SHIMMED BOTH REAR COILS UP ABOUT 3/4 -1 IN HIGHER:cool: I HAVE 18 -55-285 THINK ITS 31 IN DIA:D LOOKS GREAT FROM REAR :D ALSO RUBS SHOCK COVERS AS WELL RUBBING REAR WHEEL WELL INNER SHIELDS BUT I CAN LIVE WITH THAT.... JUST A MINOR PROBLEM

Last edited:
I fit a 285, with a 27.06 diameter. Never have rubbed

Your wheels stick out way past the 1/4 so you will never rub the insides. :rolleyes: But I bet if you squat the car enough you will rub the 1/4. The intrax springs are helping you not bottom out. When I go on trips i bring the whole garage with me, so I know when the car dips it rubs.

Last edited:
Back