89 5 speed stock top speed/speed limiter?

TOOFAST87

What's stock cut off of an 89 5 speed? I was cruising at 80 and meet a gto got it to race me put in third romped it went to fourth held it down after it topped out speedo for awhile it cut out like a speed limited on a newer car. So I put it in 5th still did it so I let off and let him pass me. Lmao pulled four car lengths on him til cut out tho. Just curious if it cut off for a reason. I love tc's and sc's lol.

I didn't think it would but it was acting like there was. But I'm having EEC issues I believe. Could've been acting weird because of that I guess.

Not innocent nor a fan..

I think what you'll find here are well tuned, well built cars that are purpose built.

Keep reading if you want more.

Paul

i dont remember there being a limiter??

i could very easily be mistaken though

There were never any speed limiter placed on any year SC or XR7 with the manual transmission. Some of the 89-93 SC’s and XR7’s with the AOD were speed limited at or just under 130 mph, but not all have this limiter. All 94-95 SC’s with the 4R70W were supposed to be speed limited at 125mph.

Sounds like the OPs car is running like crap and the the best place to legally race a car is on the dragstrip.

It does have a limiter that is designed to protect the engine if it is abused in the manner you described.

yeah i just looked in LOE1 (90 5spd) and sure enough its limited

NLMTL0_0 is set to 3300 rpm, thats the low gear stage 2 rev limiter
NLMTL0_1 is set to 4300 rpm, thats the mid gear stage 2 rev limiter

FIRPM_3 is set to 2500 rpm, thats the high load rev limit, however the FIECT_3 is set to 250 ECT so it shouldn't ever be used unless your overheating

interesting enough, VSLIM the fuel kill limiter is set to 100mph, doesn't appear to be used in the GURE strategy though

all 4 stage 1 and 2 speed limiters are all set to 100mph as well, its actually useless though because the fuel (FN396A) and spark (FN179A) modifiers are null

in COS (90 auto) its basically the same except
NLMTL0_0 is set to 3200 rpm, and
NLMTL0_1 is set to 4000 rpm

in GSALI (91-93) looking at the Z1Z2 bin, it appears all the limiters are set to 7000 rpm and VSMAX limits the vehicle to 150 mph

in CZAW0 (94-95) looking at the auto bin W4D2, it appears its limited to 5200 in drive and NOMAX limits the OSS to 5460 rpm which is 132mph with the stock rear gear and tires, however unlikely you could reach it due to mnossper limiting you to approx 105 mph-ish causing a downshift

the 94-95 T4J1 is only limited by rpm to 7000

/enjoy

my 89 stock will go over 145 but i believe there is a rev limiter around 6500 incase you miss a gear

no what it is if you hold wot for more than like 20 secs it will show down i do think i read that on here somewhere:)

Back