Trying to find coolant leak...

johnwartjr

Got a coolant leak on my 95 (surprise!)

If I get underneath the car and look, coolant is running along the chassis from the drivers side sway bar mount to about halfway to the passenger side. There are just a few tiny drops along there. It looks like it's running down the lower intercooler tube, puddles at the end of the sway bar mount, dripping on the ground directly beneath the sway bar mount, with a little tiny bit running along the part of the chassis the sway bar mounts to. It runs to about 2/3rds of the way along the chassis toward the passenger side sway bar bolt.

Things / places I've checked:

-Upper hose
-Lower hose
-Heater hose
-Overflow bottle
-Hose from overflow to radiator
-Radiator
-Thermostat
-Water pump

When I say I've checked, I've ruled the area out. For example, the hoses are dry. No wetness, stickiness, etc. I've pulled the fan back, loosened the radiator bolts, and checked the radiator for holes, etc. I've pulled the overflow bottle out, it's not leaking, its hose isn't leaking. I felt around the water pump and its gasket, and couldn't find any wet spots, or any indication that it was leaking.

I've looked around the water pump and around the thermostat, felt around them, etc, and there's no evidence of a leak as well. I replaced both the water pump and thermostat in the spring, and I was meticulous about making sure the gasket surfaces were clean, and that a proper amount of water pump rtv was used on the gaskets to make them seal properly.

I don't have any way to pressure test the system myself, although I've been considering taking it somewhere if I can't get to the bottom of it.

The system is only losing a tiny bit of coolant, and of course, even a tiny, tiny leak can make one heck of a mess.

It runs well, and performance is just as good as it's always been.

Should I take it and have it pressure tested? Or, have I neglected to check something?

You've checked the heater hose that runs along the driver side head and goes into the oil cooler? That one or the thermostat housing would be my guesses.

Thanks for the suggestion, Chris.

Can you give me a hint where the oil cooler is so I can trace the lines back from it?

Sorry for what is likely a rookie question :)

Thanks!

Here is the oil cooler and the 2 lines coming off it.
2012-11-19_16-51-02_588.jpg

AfterMarket Oil Cooler Line

Here is the oil cooler and the 2 lines coming off it.
2012-11-19_16-51-02_588.jpg

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement Oil Cooler Line like the one shown in BLOWN38's pic?

The upper rubber section (attaches to water pump) on my '92 is leaking really bad and I have to replace it. No parts avail at ford anymore.

Ford Part #: E9SZ6N866A
Engineering #: F1SE-6N866-AA

Attachments

• 20131229a.jpg
    20131229a.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 88
Parts stores will have it. You will need to cut off the alumimum crip off and use a regular hose clamp.

Try RockAuto.com

Back