new best.

Kevin Leitem

First pass 10.083 @ 130.10. 1.318 60 foot. 6.337 1/8

Second pass. Would not go pass 6000 again! But had a 1.312 short time. But only at 10.29

Ready to make a third shortly

Still keeps shutting off. On the data logs rpm goes to zero. When it was hitting the limiter last week it was still showing rpm. But now something completely shutting down the ignition. Even on the 10.08 pass it was doing it but not as long of duration. But i figured i better put it on the trailer and try to figure out what is going on before i hurt something again. I am out of blocks and cranks!

BTW. Last pass was 10.16

Still keeps shutting off. On the data logs rpm goes to zero. When it was hitting the limiter last week it was still showing rpm. But now something completely shutting down the ignition. Even on the 10.08 pass it was doing it but not as long of duration. But i figured i better put it on the trailer and try to figure out what is going on before i hurt something again. I am out of blocks and cranks!

BTW. Last pass was 10.16

Sounds like possible loss of pip, ie. crank sensor signal. Is the MSD generating any spark retard?

You should get a stand alone and put it in over the winter. That way you can run nines, in the spring.

Awesome time, though. I hate getting stuck on the edge. I remember whenever we were trying to get into the 9's and kept running 10.01's.

You should get a stand alone and put it in over the winter. That way you can run nines, in the spring.

Turbo Ron aka "96b boy" is a dealer for magesquirt and has put together a nice package for ford 3.8. You can run ls cop and a whole bunch of extra features.

It does sound like the msd and stock stuff is holding you back kevin.

On the 10.08 run it was already .062 better by the 330' than my previous best of 10.12 . Then it shut off before the 2-3 shift. When it came back on all my momentum was lost and is started spinning and sliding around. I am sure it would of run the 9, but I guess I have to try again. But it is fun going faster each week.

I am not convinced its the msd this time. Even though I should be, I think its some where else. Without the msd , the msd coils I have won't work.

Great to see going faster every time. Any reason to think you may have an alternator or battery voltage issue? At your performance level and rpm, I assume it takes a tremendous amount of spark energy to jump the gap and a problem in grounding, alternator, battery, any of that could cause the behavior you were seeing.

Ever think of getting some sort of data capture device? Something with an inductive clamp for spark, and stuff that could monitor control signals like injector pluses, system voltage, coil control stuff like that. Could help pinpoint stuff like this much faster.

Great to see going faster every time. Any reason to think you may have an alternator or battery voltage issue? At your performance level and rpm, I assume it takes a tremendous amount of spark energy to jump the gap and a problem in grounding, alternator, battery, any of that could cause the behavior you were seeing.

Ever think of getting some sort of data capture device? Something with an inductive clamp for spark, and stuff that could monitor control signals like injector pluses, system voltage, coil control stuff like that. Could help pinpoint stuff like this much faster.

Yes, I am thinking it might be a power problem, I do not run an alternator, but I do run a 16 volt battery. I did close the gap by .008 for today so I don't think that is the problem, plus the data log showed rpm as zero when this happens. Spark blowout would still read rpm. I really don't think its msd, as I had this problem once last year, but with a different box. Do you think the DIS would cause this?

Do you think the DIS would cause this?
I don't know enough to say for sure. The MSD is an easy target to throw things at, but the lack of RPM in the data log (logged from where?) indicates something in and around the DIS module. (DIS is responsible for generating a tach signal)

So many things could be at play when at this performance level. Good grounds is very important as well as good power connections.

When the DIS coil drivers charge the primary windings of the coil, they are sensitive to voltage variations. Too low of a voltage and excess current will flow generating heat. Have you ever monitored the temp of the DIS module with a IR gun? It would have been interesting to see if you cooled it off between runs if you were able to reduce the occurrence of problems.

This year I found a problem that has been messing with me for god only knows for how long. Car run great in short burst but then would cut out or just lack power by half track above 5000 rpms. Found in my data logs car was charging and holding 12.8-13.5+ volts at low rpm but while running hard 8-9 volts at best put a good charge in it car run great for a short while, I replaced the alt and all is good now shaved 8 tenths off of my 1/4:D . I know you don't run an alt, but I am sure a weak cell or shorted plate in your battery would cause the same problem. It will read a good voltage until you put it under load. hold a meter on it while you crank the car over see how bad the voltage drops I would think any more than 1.5 volts from your Idle reading is showing it is getting weak more than 3.5-4 volts it is junk

I have been wondering battery myself, but a few weeks ago I measured voltage with everything possible running. And it showed just a little drop. I really need to check it again and see if it has more drop then a couple weeks ago.

I data logged about 1 volt of battery voltage drop between the voltage at staging, and the voltage at 5000rpm. I assume it was due to ignition system needs and fuel injector duty cycles. That's with a lead acid style battery.

You should try and find someone with at least a carbon pile load tester, or one of the newer electronic ones which will generate a load electronically. Static battery voltage is one indicator but testing the battery under load is the only way to verify it's behavior under load.

Back