Transmission Problem

89SCK@t

Anyone got any idea what would cause my transmission to lock into first gear? I dont have any other gear or neutral. I was coming back from Denver when I hit a HUGE rock. The rock traveled the entire length of my car, but most noticeable was the rather large gash on my transmission. I stopped immediatley to see if I had any leaks. I didnt see any and my transmission is stuck in first. I had to drive about 20 miles in first gear at roughly 15-25 mph. I know that was not good on the engine (or tranny), but I had to get back home. Do you guys, or girls (Im not excluding anyone), have an idea what it could be, What I could do to fix it temporarily, or what transmission I could use as a temp. fix? Im in the military, so I dont have a lot of diposable income. Please help...

I'm assuming it's AOD right?

Can you physically move the shifter through the various positions?

It sounds like your linkage was bent or jammed, or another possibility that some pieces of rock have wedged in/against the linkage. This happened to a Town Car we once rented on a trip to N.Y. state, and we couldn't put the car in park for 3 days. Get under there and take a look at the linkage first.

Last edited:
tranny

I did take a look at it yesterday. But I then realized that everything is internal on the transmission...Could it possibly be the shifter itself, or could it be the yolk?

Externally it could be a the shifter linkage bent/damaged or the linkage shaft. Internally a shifter fork could have snapped (soft brass generally) under the impact.

could i fix it myself?? or would i have to take in to a tranny shop? or could i use a similar tranny from another car? would a v-6 mustang tranny work? or maybe a v-8 mustang? im hoping i could find a cheap temperary fix cause of the money issue...my plan was to rebuild everything as a whole anyway, but this is my only car, and it really doesnt look good when im late for work cause i dont have a car.....any ideas/suggestions??

You said that there was a gash on the bottom of it. If so something internal is probably jammed. The shifter is all internal and is on the top. It's going to have to come out to be checked. If the main housing is dented, warped, or cracked you've got a real problem. It may have to be replaced with another SC M5R2 transmission. It may be possible to repair any damage to the housing, though. You're going to have to give it a thorough inspection for discover the damage. Check it over thoroughly before pulling it. You may luck out and find it's some goofy oddball but maybe not serious problem that SC's are famous for.

Found out problems........

Hey you guys, i finally figured out what the problem was...lets just say the tranny was showin it age....it gonna cost me 300 to 400 to fix, so here it goes....first of all, my pilot bearing(throw out), the drive shaft yolk, my U-Joints, slave cylinder, and the plastic bushings on the shifter itself....the plastic bushings we no longer there, it was like they disintegrated, so no wonder i couldnt shift anymore...hmm....thanks alot for your help.

Before I bought my Ripper I rebuilt my old shifter and used those plastic bushings on both the top and bottom and I almost decided not to buy the Ripper it worked so good.

Back