Intercooler Tubes removal

J

JDC

I am replacing the valve cover gaskets and on the drivers side have removed the upper IC tube and have unbolted all the lower IC stuff.

The question is: is it possible to remove the lower IC tube without removing the power steering pump and Alt stuff. Or, can it be fished out without doing this. I have tried but have not been successful even though it is totally disconnected.

Any suggestions, input would be greatly appreciated.

Not a chance! Alt an dp/s pump brackt has to be unbolted and pulled foward,but you dont have to disconect p/s lines or take pump off bracket. The elbow for lower tube has to come off manifold to get valve cover off. My gaskets were leaking like a stuck pig and all I had to do was tighten cover bolts,now dry as can be.

If you want to save some grief, go borrow (or better yet just outright buy one) a power steering pump pulley puller. If you keep the SC, you'll get your money's worth out of it. Once its off, taking the front bracket off is easy. Then you can remove the main bracket, pull it forward, and then the lower tube can be maneuvered out.

My advice is to practice this a lot. Every job on the SC engine starts with "remove upper and lower InterCooler tubes" :eek: OK, I might be exaggerating, but not by much. ;)

You don't have to remove the altenator or accesories bracket. You just have to move the ps pump a little out of the way and it can be wriggled out. I've done it a couple of times.

Thomas

Back