Weird reverse gear issue

Mercutio

SCCoA Member
As I backed out of the garage today, the car went about a car length and then stopped as if I had hit something with the tire. I pulled forward, tried again, same thing. I got out to make sure there was nothing on the ground, and there wasn't.

Tried a few more times, same thing. The car will go into reverse, and then go maybe a car length or so before something just gets stuck and it won't go backwards any further. It's as if someone shoved a stick in the wheel spokes or something. Seems to work just fine in first.

Any idea what's going on?

As I backed out of the garage today, the car went about a car length and then stopped as if I had hit something with the tire. I pulled forward, tried again, same thing. I got out to make sure there was nothing on the ground, and there wasn't.

Tried a few more times, same thing. The car will go into reverse, and then go maybe a car length or so before something just gets stuck and it won't go backwards any further. It's as if someone shoved a stick in the wheel spokes or something. Seems to work just fine in first.

Any idea what's going on?

Broken diff.

Broken diff.

That would be my first guess too.....put it on jack stands and see if it doesn't jam going forward too....sounds like there might be something jammed in a ring gear groove. Depending on what the debris is, you may be able to clear it and limp it around a bit until you can do a replacement.

I had a partially failed break pad do that once. Fiction material have come unbonded from the metal plate, was floating around and would get bound up and lock the wheel up but only in reverse. Thing drove forward just fine.

Probably a fluke but it sounds better than a diff.:cool:

I've had a broken caliper slide bolt break and when in reverse the caliper would rotate up against wheel and keep the vehicle from going backwards. Going forward it wasnt an issue.

Thanks for the replies. This could not have come at a worse time--I kinda killed the Camaro's engine racing it. So out of six cars, I have one that runs.

I've had a broken caliper slide bolt break and when in reverse the caliper would rotate up against wheel and keep the vehicle from going backwards. Going forward it wasnt an issue.

This is nearly what happened. One of the caliper bracket bolts was missing, and the caliper was flopping around a bit and binding against the rotor and maybe the wheel. Replaced the bolt and all seems to be well.

So yay...no diff problem.

Back